Chapter 124: Firea & Sherfire

Start from the beginning

"It's good that she didn't," Lucia mumbled, picking my head up out of the bowl and wiping it with a napkin. It didn't do any good, because my head fell out of her hand again and onto the ground, getting all dirty. She sighed. "Well, let's get some sun, shall we? Lawrence?"

"Yeah?" I heard him nearby, listening. His voice wasn't really chipper, but then again it never was. He was growing up now, and in this place of solemnity and only eventual festivities, he had to focus on his future. It was a wonder as to why Katerine was still here when she should've moved out a long time ago, but his time was coming soon. Maybe in a year? It was already amazing that Mother left them at, like, nine.

"Want to join us for a break?" Her tone: I won't take no for an answer.

"Sure," he swallowed while dropping what he had, going to follow us. Katerine was nowhere to be found, and Fang was out on official business that he'd delayed for some time because of me. I only felt slightly bad...

I was picked up again, all those involved extremely wary of my tail, but I softly snored right through it. I sneezed, one, two, three times, then wrapped my tail over my nose - not the sharp part - to block the cold from it. Dang nostrils were diagonally mirroring each other like the sides of a diamond, I couldn't cover both of them properly at once.

"Why is she like that?" Lawrence asked as we settled in the cave mouth, leaning our backs against another dragon that was laying down. They didn't care that we were here, since everyone lazed at this time of day.

"Because of an experiment gone wrong, apparently," Lucia answered while stroking my head. "See these circlets?" She pointed to the things still melted on me since I'd been unable to get them off while in the bag, and it'd only been about a quarter of a day since I left it. "Firea and Katerine went to Leil for five days, remember? These are the remnants of what they made."

"What type of ore is it?" He asked, feeling the smooth metal on my head.

"Divine ore. It's said to be the strongest of all those in this world, even able to bind the strongest of gods..."

"What?" He sucked in a breath. "Then why is it so mangled?"

"She won the bet," Sherfire shrugged, transforming into her Dragon self and watching them as she set her head on her tail. "She broke them."

"How?"

"She was too strong for them, I guess. But...to be that strong, you would at that level be theoretically able to fight the gods. Just saying, it's not really normal, but..."

"Firea could fight gods? She's that strong?"

"Either that, or what's strong enough to fight them is the force that turned her into a little Dragon and practically restarted her life that was able to destroy the circlets. Although I heard Katerine saying the Dwarves were thanking Firea profusely, welcoming her back anytime. She built the devices with them, and as a beginner, not just anyone is able to do that."

"It's a secret shared between my husband and our granddaughter, as to how she's so smart. I mean," Lucia started rubbing the little flaps that substituted as ear coverings which made me uncharacteristically purr and turn over. There was a bit of skin there that let through some sensational feeling, and the hands of Lucia were more divine than the ore stuck on my body. "Ana told me that she had an accident with the Church a long time ago, and that's why she's so smart, but since she didn't tell me the full story I have no idea what happened. And since we get basically no news up here, nothings reached our ears. But Fang knows," Lucia's eyes narrowed. "However hard I ask him, he refuses to say. It looks like Kitri also knows something, but since he was so unapproachable with his doom and gloom stature I couldn't work up the nerve to ask him. It was odd to see Firea and Kitri ignore each other like that at the festival, and the Fae refuse to say anything about it. Also, Ana told me that she was going to come for a visit last time she was in Larjulias on the winter solstice, so she should be arriving in a month or so."