PROLOGUE

Atë

At first came the rush; a feeling of life; of awakening.

Only something didn't feel right.

Gasping the first breaths my lungs had capacitated for gods know how long, I swept my eyes other the grey and quiet valley.

While something felt off, something else felt amazing; I was whole, my being was no longer two.

Looking down at the Grecian robe draping down my body, I cringed, turning the traditional grey fabric to ankle length ripped jeans, a black t-shirt and jacket. The basic sandals transformed into a pair of boots.

As I went to teleport, I noticed my being seemed to flicker before arriving outside Stark Tower in New York. Searching for the Avengers, I realised none of them were in the city, Loki wasn't even in this realm.

Gazing into the clean tinted windows of the tower, I realised I was in my normal appearance, immediately I shifted to a medium heighted Japanese girl with natural black hair plaited down my side.

Again my form flickers, what was this?

Taking a deep breath, I began walking to a nearby diner only to pause as a SHIELD car sped past. Catching myself pausing, I resumed motion entering the small diner and ordering a coffee, the accent coming easily.

A free booth put me next to the window watching the city that never sleeps continue its life.

How long had I been dead? If I could call it that.

Breathing in the rich smell of my coffee I raised it to my lips, enjoying flavour after eating nothing for however long. Just as the cup left my lips I gasped as something new happened. It was like a switch turning on, my mind seemed connected to everything. The cameras along the street, the phones everywhere, social media, security, HYDRA, SHIELD, everything. Was this the network mortals had built and now depend on? Why was I now connected to it?

Questions buzzed, before being shadowed by a darker presence.

"Who are you?" A deep American voice questioned, projecting from what appeared to be an AI.

"Who are you?" I replied, curious of the being communicating with me.

"I am Ultron and you are not mortal." Tensing I searched what I could, who was Ultron. Reports of devastation, of a being fighting with the Avengers appeared. This AI was supposed to be destroyed.

"I am Atë." As I uttered the words, my being flickered until the diner disappeared around me and the darkness divided by a glass wall returned. Only this time I stayed one, a one with confusion and irritation.

What was happening? I had been alive? I didn't feel dead but why was I back here?

"Dammit!" I yelled, stamping a covered foot in anger as hot tears streamed down my cheeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loki

How was she alive?

I turned my gaze to Heimdal.

"I must go down to Midgard, she isn't safe in that realm," Heimdal shook his head.

"Odin gave me orders that you are not to leave Asgard until he awakens, I am sorry." My shoulders slumped as I began to pace.

"I understand, do you know when the All Father will awaken?" The Guardian shook his helmeted head, gazing out into the universe with his all-seeing eyes.

"Lady Frigga might have more knowledge in that area than I. They share a strong bond." That was true, especially after all the years they had shared.

(A/N- If you ignore the tale when he pretty much kidnapped her, forced her to marry him and then raped her, but hey, that's mythology for you. All fairies and rainbows.)

"Thank you for informing me." With those words I moved towards the exit facing the Asgardian city.

"My Lord," Heimdal spoke, causing me to turn hopefully back the Guardian only to find him frowning, "I don't believe she is fully back." Confused I moved towards the immortal.

"What do you mean?"

"She seems to be flickering between life and where she was contained for the past six months. As if in-between the two places. Her energy is gathering and as it strengthens I believe she will be in the world of the living far more."

"Where is she now?" Heimdal seemed unsure.

"It is not hell, nor any place where mortals of our gods go to die. I believe that since she is the first Greek Immortal to die, rather than be banished to hell or Tartarus, no one has been nor knew of this place. Even I am confused on how to describe it." A place no one had known of, not even Heimdal.

After once again saying goodbye to Heimdal I moved towards the palace. Hopefully mother would know when I could leave this realm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Zeus watched from his throne room as his hated daughter emerged from whatever place she had been sent after death. This was not good, he had been pleased to hear of her death and her return angered the King of the Gods.

He needed to do something about this and before Discordia or any other of the immortals who liked the Goddess discovered her rebirth.

It certainly angered the god that she had new abilities, Atë was stronger in some ways than before.

If only he had taken care of her when she was younger, before her powers even emerged fully.

===========================================================================

Book two begins.

Be sure to vote or comment for more. (I promise the chapters will be larger; my prologues and epilogues are always shorter. :-) )

- Elisa Tans