Chapter 22

Jennie's POV

There are times when we thought everything's finally over. That things will become normal once again. No more problems, no winged and clawed demons trying to kill you. Afterall, you're now safe. Secured in the arms of your protector and your loved ones with you. A tiny part of your brain thinks you're done with the tragedy you've gone through.

This is only calm before the storm.

The warning seems absurd, contradicting the memories of today. However, the fact that it can happen is there, we only choose to deny it.

"When we saw you in the café, we saw life in his eyes for the first time after... after the fire."

I withdrew my gaze from the portrait of my father and I centuries ago, to the source of the voice in the doorway.

I chuckled softly, "Things started to change for me too." Verdan raised his eyebrows, "Imagine seeing the man you've been dreaming about all your life suddenly only a few feet away from you. Fate really knows how to play a game."

"I doubt it's fate. It's God's plan. I don't know why but I can feel that you're going to play an important role in the future."

I shrugged my shoulders, "Good things, I hope. I want to be beside all of you."

He smiled encouragingly, gesturing me to follow after him. "Dinner's served. Nate sent me to get you."

I followed wordlessly after him, taking the time to examine the portraits of previous kings and queens hanging on the wall. He noticed my facination with them and started telling stories about their greatness. When we reached my parents' he stopped to properly explain.

"King Lewis and Queen Jane were the last family of royals with the longest reign. The kingdom thrived in their rule, but the war ended the monarch. Now we'll move on to the last royal princess," he gestured to the last portrait in the corner, at the very end of the hall, "Princess Jennie, the people's ambassador to the king."

It was a portrait made by Nathaniel. I remember every stroke of his brush, the concentration he gave. He wanted to make it perfect, he spent weeks in his workroom trying to finish it before my birthday.

"She saved the life of a man, risking her own. She's the bravest and kindest princess I've ever known."

I rolled my eyes at him, "Are you saying that because I'm here, or because I'm the only princess you ever met?"

"Both." He grinned.

He was about to walk past the portrait when an explosion was heard coming from the south wing. The walls shook and the portraits fell on the floor. Another explosion shook the whole castle, this time in the north and both our eyes met.

"We're under attack."

Hearing those words deafened me but the sound of a horn, like a warning bell, brought me back to reality.

"Nathaniel... We need to find him." I panicked.

He pulled me with him as he ran through the halls. "Don't worry about him. What you need to do is go to the basement where it is safe. The entrance is the unused kitchen forge, go!" He pushed me towards a chamber. I ran as fast as I can while he went the other way, straight to the war zone.

An explosion sounded to my right, sending wall debris in my way. I ducked as a winged demon flew past me. I waited but it didn't come back after it disappeared from the corner so I continued running through the hall. Atlast I saw the door leading to the kitchen.

It's ajar.

I slowed down, cautiously approaching. Someone must have gotten there first.

Someone? No. Some creatures.

There were eight of them. Dark, hollow eyes and decomposing bodies. The greenish hue made me want to vomit. Dirt and blood clung to them like a second skin. Fuck safety basement, I have to get away fast.

They seemed to be waiting for something, and as if being able to get a whiff of my scent they turned their attention to me. The black hair they have in common with mine made everything click like a piece completing a jigsaw puzzle.

They were the missing girls. I never knew there were so many of them.

"If y-you're zombies, I pray you're all too slow to catch me."

The grand hall was the only place I know and remembers the direction so I made my way towards it, the zombified missing girls hot on my heels. I screamed when another two met me upon turning in the corner. Clawed hands gripped my hair and hands. I stepped on the other's foot forcefully and elbowed the other sideways to escape. The others behind me were close so I ran twice as fast as normal, finally emerging in the grand hall.

"PRINCESS!" Nathaniel growled as he decapitated a demon ring leader. I ran towards him and he hugged me tight as I reached him, forgetting about the fight around us and the zombies chasing me for a moment. "Damn it, baby. You're not safe here."

"I'm not exactly safe anywhere," I gestured the zombie wannabes.

He chuckled, "Climb the Angel Statue in the Holy Water grotto. It's the safest place, trust me baby."

I didn't think twice. I climbed the statue, evading the flowing waters to avoid slipping. The zombies gathered below, snarling at each other as if afraid to go after me. While watching them I didn't notice I stepped on the wrong place and slipped, my feet making a splash in the holy water stoup the angel statue was holding. The water rained on them, sprinkles falling below.

"Aaaarhgghhhhkk!" They growled when the water touched them and writhed in pain as if they're burning.

Wait a second... They're burning!

I kneeled down on its hands holding the stoup and splashed the waters to the zombies below using my palms. Growls erupted from them and they fell on the floor while I continued to shower holy water. Their bodies are changing. When they stopped writhing their once greenish skin disappeared, returning to the human state. I heaved a sigh and sought Nathaniel among the fighters below. Our eyes met and the man has the audacity to wink at me given the situation we're in.

I saw more demons approaching from the entrance, and the Dragon League army met them with fierce determimation to send them back to hell. I debated whether to come down and be killed or stay up here and be useless. I admit I am not brave, I am not a martial art expert bad ass, and I'm not sure if I can stay there alive for 5 seconds. I can't even properly hold a knife, what more a sword? I can't fight. I'll only distract Nathaniel mo-

"Not again!" I cursed under my breath when a demon tail caught my feet, pulling me down.

Rucca.

_____________________________

Sorry for the wait, pixies!

I'm quite busy with my studies. By the end of the week I hope I can finish Nathaniel :)

Love you all!