Chapter 7

Jennie's POV

"Princess, the ceremony is about to start." My handmaiden called my attention. I was too busy watching the castle gates swarming with our people to watch the passing down of titles from our ranked noblemen to the men proven worthy of it. In turn, the newly appointed will pledge their loyalty and duty to the kingdom.

"My father asked for me, I assume?" I don't need to look at her to see her nod. "I'm not planning to stay up here and hide, if that's what he's implying." Just waiting for a certain 'someone' who seemed to forget I was waiting for him. That man!

"I'll inform the king, princess." She replied and soon I heard the door closing.

I sighed, where the hell is Nathaniel?? He promised to be my escort today. I swear if that promise slipped out of his mind then I'll make sure he'll be out of my mind for the whole week too. Or maybe I can 'accidentally slip' and push him off the balcony. Yeah, that's a good plan...

"Am I to expect another violent tantrum?" A voice interrupted my thoughts of listing hundreds of ways to murder someone.

I turned to look at the person, arms crossed and an eyebrow raised. "Hell, yes." I glared.

He just chuckled, pulling me close and giving me a kiss in the forehead. "Calm down, tiger. Father took his time assuring me that even though I didn't won the last battle he's still proud of me."

I laughed at that, his father knows a lot... and talks a lot. But I'm sure he's really proud of his son right now. Nathaniel grew into a good leader with a heart. I've seen how he led his rising army to battle the rival army in the final test. They didn't won, yes, but all of them were safe and sound. They fought for the kingdom, not for the title. His dream is to be the future general, and I can see disappointment hidden in his eyes. He's disappointed with himself. But I can also see the same fire that I love burning behind those orbs. He accepted everything, but never defeat. He is willing to serve the kingdom even after everything that happened. Sandro will be appointed as the new general and his army as the royal league.

"I'm proud of you, too. Even the king expressed his respect and trust to you and your men." I admitted, wrapping my arms around him.

He inhaled my scent deeply, "He did?"

I just nodded, savoring our peaceful moment. We rarely spent time with each other when the competition was still on.

"Do you think I should've tried harder?" He asked after a while.

"No. You did great, trying harder would mean desperation. You did all the best you can do."

He nodded, flashing me one of his killer smile. "And they say women can't be politicians. You just outdated your father's motivational speech." He teased.

[A/N: It is not an insult to all the women out there. I'm a woman too, but the setting is in early 1400 to 1500 and most men had it in their minds that women don't fit in politics. Nathaniel NEVER expressed that he thought the same way, he said "And they say..."]

I glared playfully in return, "I believe we still have an occassion to attend."

We made our way to the grand hall filled with different faces and full of anticipation.

"Princess Jennie Lewis James and her escort Lord Nathaniel Lucian King." As the guard spoke everybody stopped and turned to look at us. We walked towards the throne as everyone gave way for the both of us. However, both of us shared confused glances when there were two seats in my place instead of one. The king stood up, welcoming the both of us. I curtsied as Nathaniel bowed in respect.

"I thought the both of you decided to ditch this special occassion." He chuckled lightly before gesturing the seats just a little below his throne. "Take your seats now, so that the program can start."

Though we still have no idea why, we took our seats and welcoming performances started. Nate held my hand the whole time, and soon it was the appointing and oath taking of the new guards and warriors. Lastly, the general's.

My father stood up, and silence filled the hall. I caught a glimpse of Sandro's smug expression. "Today, a new royal league will be established. We only need one person to command them...."

Nathaniel looked away, the fire slowly dying in his eyes and my heart broke at the sight of that. I squeezed his hand gently, as he gave me a soft smile in return.

"... I am requesting you to stand in front for the oath taking and to receive my blessing, our new general, Lord Nathaniel Lucian King."

The cheers that followed deafened me while Nathaniel remained immobilized in his seat from shock. When everything finally registered to the both of us tears of joy came. As I watched him kneeling on one knee to pledge and receive my father's blessing I feel like drowning him in kisses.

He stood tall, with a genuine smile so wide he named his royal league... "The Dragon League."

***

I woke up screaming when a grinning face met mine. I hurriedly grabbed my pillow and hit her head with it.

"Damn!" She grumbled, snatching the pillow from my hold and hit me right in the face with it too.

"What the hell are you doing here, Abby?!" I asked yelling.

"What the hell am I doing here?? We're already late! We have work today, I decided to be a good friend and wake you up. C'mon, up!"

I glared at her and stared at my alarm clock in disbelief, "It's barely 6:00 AM, dude. I know you didn't come all the way here just to wake me up this early!"

She pouted, "Okay, fine. I wanna hear everything. Starting from the moment you saw him until you both parted ways. Is there going to be another date??- Oh my gosh! I know that look!"

I buried my face in my pillow to hide my blush. Damn, why do I have a nosy bestie?? "It was... uh, great?" I grinned sheepishly.

"Great? That's all? C'mon! There's gotta be something!" She insisted.

I inhaled deeply, remembering last night's events. I smiled unconsciously, "It was... romantic. He took me somewhere, I don't know where but there's a place floating in the middle of the river. It was fun, I really had fun and I have to thank you for that." I flashed her a grateful smile.

She squealed like a schoolgirl, "I always knew you and Daryl would make a good pair!"

My blood ran cold, "What?!" I asked shocked.

"You said it already. You liked the date, so I assume you like the person too." She said in a duh tone.

I shook my head, "No... I mean you set me up with 'Daryl' as in Daryl the Player?!"

She stared at me in confusion, nodding her head. My jaw dropped and we stared at each other for a few seconds before her eyes widened.

"Y-You weren't with him last night?.."

I nodded, "Someone... someone else took me out."

Oh Nathaniel...