Chapter 17

Jennie's POV

Weeks had passed. Everything went back to normal - except the kidnapping cases. Every night, a girl similar to my appearance disappears. For precaution, both Abby and Nate agreed that I shouldn't go out alone at night. Of course, Nate has to be my bodyguard. I don't mind it though, spending these days with him, his friends and Abby made me feel important. I feel loved, and that is something I lost when my parents died.

"I really hope I am the reason behind your smile right now." Nate playfully kissed my nose, snapping me out of my reverie.

We were currently lying down the comfy sofa in my apartment, we're watching a romcom movie but I spaced out thinking about him and my friends.

"Well, you're one of them." I replied with a soft laugh, he seemed to understand and gave me another kiss - this time in my lips. He was gentle and possessive at the same time. He made it clear weeks ago that I am his, and he's mine. One time when we were at the beach, a cocky guy tried flirting with me the moment Nate disappeared beside me. That included trying to put his arm around my shoulder. Unfortunately for him, even though Nathaniel was not beside me, he has his eyes set on me. Before the guy could blink he was thrown far away, back to his seat beside his shocked group of friends.

"Touch what's mine and you'll never see the sun again." He glared at the man coldly while wrapping his right arm around my waist, the other holding the fruit shake I wanted.

The guy's fear was evident in his eyes and he nodded immediately. Well, Nate can be very scary when he wants to. The night after that was perfect. He confessed his feelings for me and we spent the night sitting under the moonlight in the beach, the gentle waves touching our bare feet while in each other's arms.

"There goes that beautiful smile again, baby." He chuckled making me bury my face in his chest, trying to hide my embarrassment.

"I can't stop thinking about that night, Nate." I admitted with a smile.

He playfully wiggled his eyebrows at me, "We'll have more nights like that 'till eternity."

The rest of the day was spent watching movies and eating. It's Sunday, and I made it my work-free day. Sadly, I have to let go of my part-time job in the city library. I really love books but I value my safety too and I can't let my friends' efforts go to waste by not cooperating. I work until late at night and I'm pretty sure the suspect expects I will be there again. Well, sorry to say but not gonna happen.

Before night time Nathaniel left to meet up with Verdan and the others somewhere. That's the time when Abby arrived to 'relieve' Nate from his personal bodyguard duty. So here we are now, doing mani-pedi, gossiping about our favorite hollywood stars and of course - love life.

She was scrolling through her phone when she started the topic about Cook. "When will Cook confess to me just like what Nate did??"

I chuckled, "Uhm, ten years from now?"

"NO WAY!" She yelled, "I'll be older, I'll lose my baby face and it will be replaced by baby fats! I can't let that happen, bae! We have to think fast!"

I rolled on the floor laughing out loud when she started running around the living room panicking. Oh, Abby..

"He's definitely out of his mind if he didn't confess sooner or later. Relax, Abby. I know he's working on it." I calmed her down. I'm not giving her false hopes, it's too obvious that they like each other - or maybe more than that.

Just like that she stopped, sat beside me and when I glanced at her she seemed to be thinking about something.

Uh-oh.

When Abby starts to think, we're getting on something dangerous. She doesn't think normally, remember? Right now I can see chainsaws and drillers working on her brain.

"We need to catch the culprit ourselves."

I almost fell on my seat. She said it as if it's the most normal thing in the world.

"Catch who?!" I asked wide-eyed.

"The culprit! The one who tried to kidnap you and is doing it now to every other girl looking like you. You and my mom have the same hair and eyes, bae. I'm afraid mom would disappear like those girls on TV anytime."

How her voice cracked made me feel guilty. What she said made me open my eyes to what is actually happening right now. Those girls are suffering, the same fate I am going to experience once abducted too. However, I am not so sure I am the one he's trying to find. Maybe he just have some psychotic problems against black-haired and black-eyed women. And if we did try to find him, where? How? Are we going to be safe? Is it sane to run after the one trying to find you too?

"I heard there's an abandoned warehouse at the other side of the partition line. Most people believe it is the place where the culprit hides the bodies of the girls he had kidnapped. Are you coming with me?" There was determination in her eyes and I know she's doing it for the good of everybody.

I sighed, "First, we must make a plan and rules. I don't want to dive in there unprepared."

She squealed after hearing that. Looks like were in for a very mysterious night.

***

"Remember, Abby. We're here only to find out if this is his hiding place, not literaly to catch him. Try to make yourself as small as a cat. I don't think there's a cctv here so we just need to be as quiet as the library's atmosphere. Do not leave your partner, and once out of here we'll report it immediately to the police. Game?" I reminded her our agreed plans.

She smiled, "Aye aye, captain. It's spy time!" Giggling she led the way inside the perimeter.

We were able to slip inside easily. Not one sign of a person nor girls held captive is here. No shit. It's called abandoned for a reason. I wanted to laugh at how stupid we looked right now but since we're already here, better make the best of it and investigate like a pro.

"The area is clear. I think no one's he-"

She hadn't finished her sentence yet when we heard a loud 'thud' followed by a string of curses. I swear my face lost its color, and my heartbeat increased tenfold. Abby was no better. In fact, she looked worse than I do. With her eyes wide she was frozen in the midst of her speech.

We shared a look of horror.

Double damn.

______________________________

Holla sweethearts! :)

It's nice to be back again. That was almost half a year. I can't believe someone can have a break from writing that long. ;) But there's really more work waiting for me. Even though I took a break here in WP I still write for our School Publication. Now I'm back though, :) I missed Nate and the gang with Abby... And of course all of you guys!

Love,

Ash