Chapter 3

Jennie's POV

"Uh, may I ask how?" I finally asked after seconds of staring at him with my mouth agape, which was no doubt unattractive.

"You work at the café, right?" He asked.

I nodded, "Yeah?"

"And you wear name tags, correct?" He raised an eyebrow.

This time the embarrassment I felt was more than the last. Maybe fate had placed a curse on me that every time I would open my mouth dilemma would surely follow after. And it seems like the man sitting beside me was the fate's perfect instrument to ensure my demise. Great, I have to endure an hour and a half keeping my mouth shut for the whole semester.

***

I dropped my bag on the table, groaning, banging my head repeatedly after that. Shit, that hurts.

"You look like you just got out of the asylum. What's wrong?- And stop banging your head like that, idiot!" Abigail hit my forehead using her book.

I scowled, but my mood lifted a bit knowing she's worried... even though she said it not so nicely.

I thought I was going to endure an hour and a half for the whole semester... turns out that he was enrolled in all my subjects for the whole morning. Isn't it creepy that the person you've been dreaming of since you were little was now in the same school as you, even sitting beside you in your classes? That the person you've come to know as someone who belongs to your dream world was now in the real world with you?

Now I'm dreading coming to class this afternoon, for sure Nathaniel would be there too. Waiting with that sexy smirk he's always sporting and those intense brown eyes that could melt anyone's heart...

Damn, I'm turning into a fangirl.

I sighed deeply before grabbing her water bottle and uncapping it, enjoying the feeling of the cold water quenching my thirst.

"So... what are you going to wear for your date this Friday?"

I coughed twice, "I'm not going anywhere this Friday."

She glared at me, "You are."

"I'm not. I have important things to do."

"Like what?? Have a staring contest with your cat all day??" That earned her a glare from me. "See? He's rubbing off on you! I swear your cat's planning to be a serial killer someday."

I chuckled at that, "How can you say so?"

"Duh, he's befriending you."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "How the hell can he become a serial killer someday by befriending me??" Is this girl serious?

Her face turned serious, looking around to see if anyone's close before turning to whisper in my ear. "He needs an ally. He's probably going to make you hide his victim's bodies."

Her abnormality made me shook my head, pushing her face away from mine making her pout. I swear, all the signs of madness can be found in her.

"Anyway, I can already picture the two of you enjoying on your date night. Oh, how romantic! It's going to be your best date ever!" She squealed like a schoolgirl.

"You told me that before, nothing happened. What makes you think this one's going to be different?"

She sighed dreamily, "Because he's so handsome... and perfect... and everything a girl would want."

"Then why don't you go out with him instead? Why me??"

"That's the thing, bae. We would look great together, I know. But I don't know, instincts told me that both of you would be perfect for each other. That both of you should be together."

Yeah, and snakes don't bite. I scoffed mentally. Through the years I've been with her I learned one thing about her instincts... don't trust it. It's totally broken. It will only work if a handsome guy's within 3-meter radius.

"I'm still not going though."

"But why?" She whined like a child.

"I have to prepare a report due on Monday and we have work during Saturdays, remember?"

She frowned, looking the other way. "Oh, okay. I get it." She whispered sadly.

I raised an eyebrow at that, "You get what?" Is this another trick?

"I understand that books comes first before friends. I mean it's completely normal."

"I didn't say tha-"

"I know. I'll just continue with my life and be there for you even if you don't have time for me." She sniffed, wiping the corner of her eyes.

"What the-"

"I'm not crying, really. My eyes are just sweating."

"Are you try-"

"No, I'm not trying to make you feel guilty."

I grumbled something under my breath, "Fine! What time?"

She suddenly squealed loudly, making other students look our way. "I knew it!"

I chuckled at her reaction. Now I'm sure she just planned that little drama earlier.

"He's going to pick you up at eight. Have fun!" With that, she left the hall bouncing like a ball of energy while I remained sitting, a part of me already regretting my decision.

What have I gotten myself into?

"Is this seat occupied?"

I stiffened hearing that voice. Maybe today's just not my day. "It's not."

He smiled, taking a seat to where Abigail was before she went away like a kid. I gave him a smile of my own too before grabbing the first book I saw and opening it, pretending to read while flipping the pages even though I don't understand a thing.

"I see you're busy... reading."

No shit. I nodded, my head hurting because the letters in the book seemed foreign. Is it in another language?

"So, is it okay if I talk to you?" He asked again.

You don't hear me complaining, do you? I nodded once again. Talk all you want. Doesn't mean I'm going to speak to you too.

"Did I do something wrong?" He asked again, a hint of worry evident in his voice.

I'm just preventing further embarrassment to myself. I shook my head 'no' before concentrating on the pages again. What kind of language is this?

He sighed, "You're not reading, are you?"

"I am." I answered irate. I just don't understand this stupid book.

"But you don't understand what you're reading?" He chuckled.

I looked at him confused. How the hell did he know that?? Is it obvious in my expression?

"You're reading it upside-down, princess." Nathaniel ruffled my hair before turning the book which was upside down, placing it properly in front of me.

I don't know which was the reason of my blush... maybe because of embarrassment or maybe because he called me princess.