Chapter 6

Jennie's POV

"You're cheating!" I exclaimed wide-eyed.

He just laughed at my reaction, "I'm not. Admit it, I'm a pro." He said smugly, sticking his tongue out, throwing the dice at me and hitting me exactly on the forehead. I grumbled angrily, he was totally laughing like a dying hyena now.

"No," I said determined. "I demand a rematch!"

He chuckled, "Seriously? It's just Snake and Ladder."

"Right," I said dryly, "Just Snake and Ladder and you still cheated, you baboon!" I picked up the board when he didn't stop laughing and hit him... right on his forehead.

Uh-oh. I grinned sheepishly at him when I saw his blank expression.

Nathaniel shifted from his sitting position and I watched his every move. "This. Is. War." He grinned mischievously as my eyes widened.

I screamed, running in different directions as he ran to catch me. His laughter was drowned out by my panicked screams and he seemed to enjoy my panicked state.

I tried blocking his path using the chairs on my way but he was determined to catch me. Earlier I was absolutely fascinated by this place floating in the river, now I curse it for having a very limited space. It's only a matter of time before he catches me.

I squealed when I reached a dead end, thankfully I managed to stop before I could fall on the water.

"Come to papa, baby!" He mocked, approaching me agonizingly slow.

"I swear, Nate. One more step and I'm going to kick you." I warned, trying my best to give him a glare.

He smiled playfully, lifting his right foot to take a step forward slowly as if taunting me. "Like this..?"

Based on reflex action I took a step backwards.

Wrong move.

Everything happened so fast... I lost my balance. His playful expression faded into a panicked one. I can feel my body falling over the edge.

Then everything stopped... The fall never came. Arms were wrapped around my waist. Brown eyes burning intensely as it stared down at me.

"Got you." He whispered breathlessly, his face leaning close to mine. My lips parted and my throat felt dry. Our foreheads touched and I could feel his warm breath mingling with mine.

The moment was perfect... well, almost.

My laughter broke the stillness that enveloped us for a few seconds. His playful grin was back now as his fingers tickled my waist, and his arms wrapped around me prevents me from escaping.

"Stop!" I giggled, pushing his face away from mine. I squealed when he rubbed his jaw playfully on my neck. The light stubble effective on tickling me.

"Say that I'm a master in games first."

"I'm a master in gam- Nathaniel!" I hit him playfully while laughing.

"Say it first." He chuckled.

"It- Hahaha! Stop! I'll say it now!" I wriggled in his hold more this time. "You're a master in games!"

He finally stopped and let go of me, but his smile never faded. We sat down enjoying the comfortable silence, our feet dangling and barely touching the surface of the cold water.

"So you're not going to be weird around me in school anymore?" He asked chuckling.

I grinned sheepishly, "Only when you're not making me feel stupid anymore."

He laughed, "I'm not."

"You are." I glared playfully at him. "Anyway, when did you and Abby talked about this date?" I asked curious.

His eyes darkened and avoided my gaze. "It doesn't matter now."

I shrugged, he's right. It doesn't matter anymore. I'm glad to know that he doesn't have any personal vendetta against me.

Why is he in my dreams though?

"It's getting late, we should head back now." He sighed, helping me to stand.

I looked around the scenery, I wish I could capture this view and save it in my memory. We are still here yet I already missed the place. It's like this place and I have a connection.

"We can always come back." He assured me, sensing my hesitation to leave.

"Can't we stay just a bit longer?"

He raised an eyebrow at that, "Well, that's surprising since you turned all ninja when we arrived here."

I scowled, "That's a natural reaction, Nate. It's normal when someone took you somewhere secluded... how much more to a forest hundred miles away from civilization?"

"Normal girls would scream." He argued.

"I DID scream."

He scoffed, "Yeah, after the kick."

I tried to stifle my laugh but obviously I failed. His expression when I did that was priceless. Damn, another comical reaction I've caused.

"Go on, laugh all you want. I'll be having my revenge soon."

"Sure." I chuckled and followed him to the raft.

***

"So, I guess this is goodbye for now. See you next week." He smiled gently, ruffling my hair.

I nodded slowly, "Goodbye."

He was about to say something, maybe even do something but he hesitated. He gave me one last smile instead and turned to leave but my hand shot out to grab a hold of his hand, turning him around to face me once again.

I cleared my throat, "Thank you. I had so much fun, really. See you next week." I stood on my toes and gave him a peck on his cheek. I pulled away then, releasing his hand from my hold.

He was still staring at me in surprise. A red tint of blush was starting to appear on his face. I chuckled inwardly before turning around to open the door to my apartment.

"That's not fair..." I heard him mutter behind me. I glanced at him, confused as hell. "I should give you one too." He grinned before bending down to give me a kiss on my cheek too, lingering lightly. When he pulled away I saw it again... the fire in his eyes.

I rolled my eyes at his antics, "You always have a comeback prepared, huh?"

"I wasn't born to be defeated, mate. I always win." He winked at me, finally walking towards his car. He mouthed a 'Good night' before getting in and pulling out of the driveway.

"Even angels fall, you know." I shook my head at his arrogance. Damn, I'm sure Fate has prepared a good fight for him to teach him just that someday.