Prologue

A loud explosion shook the whole kingdom unexpectedly, the once serene and elegant air inside the ballroom dissipated. Merry laughters turned into cries of panic and despair, and the once graceful bodies dancing in the middle of the room began pushing each other violently towards the exit.

Another explosion and fire erupted on the east wing of the great hall, swallowing everyone in its way alive. Pained cries resonated throughout the ballroom, making me stop. I can't leave them here, I can't abandon my people.

I scanned the mass of bodies heading towards the exit in a hurry, smoke started to fill the room making it hard to spot the person I was looking for. Something glinted from afar... a crown. I sighed in relief, my father's safe.

Once I was certain he was out of the room I turned to help the man who got stuck under a table turned upside-down.

"Princess, go! I'll be fine!" He yelled, pushing me towards the exit.

"No, I won't leave anyone in this state." I pushed the table hard enough for it to move a little and free half of his leg then I started pulling him out. Another explosion erupted, sending flying debris ablazed with fire. I yelped when one managed to graze my arm.

"Are you okay?" He asked, standing up on shaky legs. I nodded, "Let's go!" He yanked my arm and we ran across the hall towards the exit.

What we didn't expect was the chandelier falling straight on us... on me. My screams echoed throughout the room as the broken glasses pierced my skin.

"Princess!" He panicked.

I look behind us to see the fires spreading like a wildfire before turning to look at him, "Call Nathaniel, please. I'll be fine."

He nodded, running as fast as he could. My free hand automatically went to my stomach. When I lifted it up, it was covered with blood. A sob escaped my lips. A candle holder of the chandelier pierced my stomach and the fires were quick to travel across the room towards me. I knew it was too late to call reinforcements, but I sent him away to save his life. If he stayed with me, both of us will die. Someone should atleast live. Unfortunately, that's not me.

Too close now, only a meter away and the heat made my skin hurt.

"JENNIE!"

That voice. That man. My eyes teared up more as I saw his horrified expression, he ran towards me at full speed but the fire was closer. Flames engulped me and his screams of agony matched mine.

As I finally closed my eyes, the face of one person remained imprinted in my memory...

Nathaniel.