Chapter 14

Jennie's POV

I left the carnival right away, and since I only hitched a ride with Abby in her motorbike I ended up walking my way back home. I left my wallet at my apartment so I have no choice. Thankfully it's just a thirty-minute walk and I think I can manage.

While walking alone I can't help but feel like someone's watching me. That heavy feeling in my gut telling me something bad is going to happen made me walk faster. I can feel the harsh stare burning holes at the back of my head. I stopped for a while, risking a glance behind me.

You're just paranoid, Jennie. Just keep walking.

I breathed deeply, my heart pounding loudly in my chest. How ironic that when you feel you are in danger, the people around you starts disappearing.

Yep, all alone in an alley.

I walked faster but froze when footsteps sounded just behind me. I turned around, expecting a man with a kabuki mask holding an axe and ready to hit me but found none.

Okay... this is getting weirder.

I scanned the place wide-eyed. If this is only Abby playing games with me I'm totally going to strangle her. "Abby?"

My shaky voice echoed, but not a single soul replied. I released a shaky breath, turning around to resume walkin-

"AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!" I screamed when I bumped on a hard chest, before literally jumping three feet away from the man dressed in a suit and wearing a sunglass. "Damn, you scared me to death!" I glared at him, hands in my chest trying to calm my erratically beating heart.

His lips lifted in a sly yet sinister smirk, slowly removing his sunglass while staring right at me. My blood ran cold, and I swear my heartbeat did stop momentarily.

"Did I really scare you to death, Jennie?" He raised an eyebrow, taking a step towards me as I stepped back unconsciously.

Sandro... I swear he is Sandro.

I feigned confusion, "H-How did you know my name?"

Outside, I was acting all normal like I have never seen him before. Inside though, I was dying in fear and anticipation. I can tell that something bad is going to happen. There's something bad he is going to do and I feel helpless right now. The fact that I'm already in the brink of losing my sanity because of the dreams and Nathaniel and his friends showing up, I think I'm totally going to lose it now that even Sandro is here.

Gosh, what do they want from me? Why do they keep showing up in my life?

"'How'?" He asked sarcastically, "I never thought you're one to forget old acquaintances after years of not seeing them."

I hesitated, "I really don't remember you, Sir."

"That's too bad." He shook his head with a dark smirk, "I'm Sandro. Sandro King."

King.

I stared at him longer than normal, why do I feel like I've heard that before?? Nevermind.

"Nice to meet you. However, I really need to go now." I need to go somewhere far away from you. Have as much distance away from you. I moved to walk past him but he held me firmly on my shoulders.

He frowned, "Going somewhere?"

I opened my mouth to answer but someone beat me to it. "She's with me, Sandro."

Warm hands wrapped around my waist, pulling be against a hard chest. Sandro's arms fell on his sides, staring at the person behind me with distaste.

"Of course, she is." He rolled his eyes, turning his back towards us. "Now I wonder why she was alone a few minutes ago?"

The hands on my waist tightened, possessively securing me. "What is it to you, then?"

"Well, I just want you to know that such a beautiful girl like her should be guarded carefully. You never know what's lurking in the shadows... waiting for the perfect opportunity to pounce."

With that, he left us in the alleyway, his low laughter sounded mocking in a way yet so evil.

"And why are you walking all alone?" Nathaniel asked softly behind me, still holding me in the same position.

I just shrugged, "I left Abby in the carnival with Cook and I left my wallet in my apartment so I have no choice but to walk."

He chuckled, "Next time, just call me."

I scratched the back of my head in embarrassment, looking up at him while smilling sheepishly. "I left my phone too, actually."

He laughed, "You're hopeless."

He started walking, retrieving one hand from my waist while the other remained protectively wrapped around me. Silence stretched between us for a few moments, but it's a comfortable one. When I glanced at him I saw his brows furrowed in deep thinking, and I know right then that it was Sandro as his hand would unconsciously tighten around me.

"Are you okay?" I asked gently.

He looked down at me, "Did he hurt you?" His voice was firm and serious. I just shook my head, I am thankful that he didn't hurt me. "Next time when you are alone call me, okay? I don't care when, just call and I'll come right away. Do you understand?"

I mumbled a silent 'yes' before looking ahead once again. "Why are you so worried about what he said, Nate? Is he a bad guy?"

He took a moment to answer my question, "I'm worried because you're involved. He is a bad guy, princess. I don't want him anywhere near you ever again."

I thought against pulling my luck and asking some questions that could give me answers to my dreams. In the end, the one who believes in luck in my brain won. "Did he do something to someone close to you in the past?"

Did he do something to me in the past?

He didn't answer but his hands clenched, knuckles turning white. His breathing accelerated and as I turned to look at him I can see rage, anger and agony painted in his eyes. My heart melted at the sight of that. He looked... broken.

"He killed someone I loved. He killed her."

He answered that by staring right through me, as if trying to convince my soul. The way he looked at me makes me feel what he had gone through before. The hurt, sadness, and defeat.

By that answer everything clicked in my mind and a conclusion was formed like a whirlwind destroying my mind's framework.

Those dreams aren't dreams...

They're memories.