Chapter 12

Jennie's POV

"Um... why are we here, Abby?"

That's the first question that came out of my mouth.

Right after the little drama in my apartment, the monkey convinced me to come with her somewhere. There was urgency in her tone, and I thought we will go somewhere where there is a little bit adventure or thrill.

...Carnival is the least among the choices I have.

"Trust me, this is the best place to go." She grinned, making me doubt my decision coming with her. That smile almost outdated The Joker's evil smile. "You want your questions answered, correct?"

I nodded eagerly, not trusting my voice to speak.

"Then shut your trap and follow the leader." She giggled maniacally before bouncing away like a kid in the zoo.

Do I have to skip like that while walking too? I groaned mentally at her childishness.

"No offense, but why are you acting like a penguin??" I asked trying to catch up with her.

"Shh! You'll blow my cover!" I almost jumped when she suddenly faced me, covering my mouth. "We have to act normally so that no one would suspect a thing." She said whispering.

That earned her a smack on the forehead from me, "You're acting abnormally."

She just pouted, "Fine! Let's go then."

She led the way past the rides and booths for other games. When we reached the part where there were tents lining up, she entered the one on the farthest. I hesitated coming in, standing outside alone.

Ms. A and the Tarot Cards.

I never knew Abby believes in old ladies predicting your fortune using cards. Most of them, if not all, only want what's inside your wallet.

Good thing I didn't bring my wallet, it's Abby's treat. I smirked evily at that thought.

"JENNIE!!!" I heard her calling my name from the inside.

"Coming!" I hurriedly walked towards the slit in the tent where Abby entered just a while ago. I took one last glance at the crowd, however, I stoppped dead in my tracks when I noticed a familiar face giving treats to the little children.

My eyes widened...

"Alarick??" I whispered to myself. What is he doing here? Then, as if hearing me whisper his name he looked up, trying to find among the crowd who called him. I quickly slipped inside the tent, immediately spotting Abby sitting at the chair on the front left of the table. I sat opposite her, not failing to notice that the tarot reader, or Ms. A, is not around. "Are you sure about this? Don't you think we should go and see a psychiatrist first?" I whispered in her ear.

"Then what? Once they don't understand a thing they'll label you mad, crazy, etc. Trust me," She said confidently. "I've been there."

I scowled at her, "That's because of a group project. You're not the patient. Remember? I was with you."

She just chuckled, sticking her tongue out at me. I motioned throwing the crystal ball at her in return and that's when the reader decided to show up. Her jaw dropped in horror at the scene in front of her.

I smiled sheepishly at her as I lowered the crystal ball, putting it back to its original place. She cleared her throat after a few minutes of staring at us before she sat on her seat, facing the both of us.

I didn't expect her to be so... young. I was used to seeing old ladies doing this kind of thing. She looked to be a little older than us, not to mention drop-dead gorgeous.

"Good day, ladies. Well, 'good' for me. I don't know about the two of you since you seemed to be planning each other's death before I came." She chuckled, gathering the cards and shuffling it. We just shrugged then continued watching her. "My name's Ariana, but you can call me Ms. A." She introduced herself.

"I'm Abigail and this is my friend, Jennie. She's the one who needs your help." Abby smiled at her warmly.

Ariana stared at me for a moment before picking a card from those she was shuffling a while ago. She placed it at the center of the table, facing upwards.

The High Priestess.

"Interesting," she mumbled with a smile. "This represents you... intuition, wisdom, mysteries, secrets and tenacity."

I nodded at her, following her every word. She picked another three, placing them all at the center just below the significator and this time facing downwards.

"When mystery's involved, I always assume it's something in the past that's bothering the person. These three cards represents your past, present and your future." She explained, pointing each corresponding card.

I almost ran when she said 'past'. The people and the way they dress in my dreams screamed medieval.

"Are you ready?" She asked, her fingers finding the card representing the past.

I breathed deeply, nodding, "Yes."

She flipped it, smiling brightly. "Looks like old love is bothering you right now."

My cheeks turned red in embarrassment. The Lovers. Abby wiggled her eyebrows while sporting a teasing smile.

She guessed it right, maybe she can really give me the answers to my questions.

"Now, the hardest. Why is it happening? Present..."

The Moon.

Her face turned guarded, her eyes held worry in them. "The Moon represents dark forces, nightmares, illusions, hidden fears and dangers..."

My eyes widened as Abby's did too. From the sound of it, this card represents something bad. "Something bad will happen?" I asked cautiously.

"Not really, my dear." She smiled at me. "Just be careful. There are enemies lurking in the shadows, waiting for the perfect time to strike. The man in your past has something to do with it, be careful." She warned.

Abby and I shared a meaningful look. Is Nathaniel a bad guy? Why does that thought seemed so wrong? As far as I know I haven't done anything wrong to anyone.

I glanced at the last card. What will happen then?

"Will the future card tell me what will happen in the end?" I asked again.

She nodded, flipping the card upwards.

My breathing hitched as I saw the words written on the card.

Death.

________________

Don't kill me yet. xD Wait for the next chapter for the explanation about this card.

For the mean time, let your imaginations run wild.

Love 'ya all, Pixies! :)