Love And Checkups

A/N: Thank you @perfectlyparadox for giving me the idea for this chapter. I love you.

~Cas' POV~

"Are you excited?" Bobby asks us as we're trying on our caps and gowns for graduation a few weeks from today.

"Hells yeah!" Dean practically yells. He's so happy now. He's happy again.

"Let's get a picture!" Ellen says ecstatically, holding up her Nikon.

Dean and I pose for the picture, his hand draping over my shoulder. At the last second, when Ellen is counting down from 3, Dean sweeps me off my feet holding me by my waist and dipping me down. He kisses me and I see the camera flash through my eyelids. We don't stop kissing when the picture is taken, and Ellen and Bobby just sit there laughing. Finally, I start laughing as does Dean.

~

Finals are, well, gross. It's just study, study, study for stuff you're going to forget next week. Torture, really. But we still want to get good grades so we've been studying every night for the past two weeks together

"Okay, in what battle did Washington cross the Delaware?"

"Jesus, I learned all this in, like, middle school," Dean says.

"Our education system sucks," I reply.

"Just like cancer."

"Dean," I breathe out. "Focus on finals."

"I know all this stuff, though."

I have to take a deep breath to calm myself about Dean. After a few seconds, I look over at him and he's balancing a textbook on his head while a pen is resting on his upper lip.

"Dean," I say again, barely holding back a laugh at how short his attention span is today. Even shorter than it was yesterday.

"Dammit, Cas," he says while the pen and the textbook fall to the ground with a thump. I can't help but crack up laughing. Dean soon laughs with me and gets out of his chair, walking towards me on mine and picks me up.

"You know," he says, breathing heavily. "It's not very nice to laugh at people when they drop their books."

He picks me up out of my chair, throwing me on the bed.

"Dean. . . no. . . don't tickle me!" And soon he's tickling me. He becomes tired after a while, setting himself on top of me to kiss me.

"I love you, Angel," he whispers right next to my ear, sending chills down my back.

"Mmmf," is all that comes out of my mouth.

~

"Angel, I gotta go to a doctor's appointment. Do you want to come? Maybe take a break from studying? Baby, you have dark circles under under your eyes. You need a break," Dean says.

"Okay." Dean's eyes seem to reflect every single ray of sunlight. It's like the sun's light is attracted to his eyes, begging to be reflected and transformed into different palates of green.

At the doctor's office, Dean's leg is shaking uncontrollably. I grab his hand and intertwine my fingers with his.

"Baby, you okay?"

"Yeah, fine. Just nervous, Angel. They started that medicine last week and their going too see if the tumor shrank."

"Well, darling, whatever happens you'll be okay." Dean doesn't reply and I can see the fear in his eyes.

We are interrupted by a tall, dark skinned male nurse calling Dean's name.

"Dr. Jones is ready to see you," he says. Dean doesn't let go of my hand so I go in with him.

"Okay," Dean mutters.

When we reach the room where Dean will get a PET scan, Dr. Jones greets us each with a handshake.

"How are you feeling, Dean?" he asks with a half-hearted smile.

"You mean, besides finals trailing right behind me constantly? Great, actually," he says with a real smile. The doctor laughs and tells us we should get started with the scan. I wait patiently for Dean to come back out with Dr. Jones.

I don't know why I didn't bring a book. I sit in an uncomfortable chair, waiting, twiddling my thumbs and thinking about what Dean is thinking about. Thinking about thinking. Distracting myself from the world. Kittens will never go to the center of the earth. A pen cap will never know what a bagel tastes like. My doorknob will never meet Hannah Montana.

What the hell am I talking about?

Soon enough, Dean walks out with the biggest smile I've ever seen on him. I walk up to him and he doesn't hesitate giving me a hug and kissing the top of my head.

"It's gone," he says, "It's gone."