Part 1. May of Current Year. Chapter 1. New York - Rome

"Jennifer, look at that view out the window," Samuel says. He gently pushes the long, light brown hair from her heart-shaped face. She snuggles closer to him then rouses as the hard divider between their airplane seats stabs her. Yesterday was their wedding, and the couple is on a jet on their way to begin their honeymoon in Rome. Samuel wants to share the beautiful sky with his wife. He lives largely in bursts of creative energy that turn rooftops into spots of natural beauty. His landscape design firm creates small- and large-scale projects that turn grey spaces into gardens and parks. By hand he creates tiny falls and crystal lakes with small, iridescent fishes. He surrounds them with multi-colored flower beds and green glades. Because of this deep connection with the natural, Samuel cannot lose that view out for Jennifer.

"I was sleeping," she mumbles. "What do you want? I'm so sleepy"

"Look, look out the window." Samuel points to the sky outside the plane's window. Jennifer sees what's drawn his attention. To the west, the sun tries to sink into the snow-white clouds creating surprising purples and pinks. The beams of the orange circle pierce the blue sky and pass through white and split into various forms. Jennifer snuggles into his arms, and they kiss gently. They think only of each other. Samuel starts suddenly and asks, "But, why so quickly?" Jennifer is startled thinking he is talking about the kiss. "No," he consoles. "It's the sky. Look how quickly it darkens."

The sky looks as if it's undergoing a solar eclipse with no clear phases. Flashes escape from the moon and disappear quickly, repeating again and again. Passengers aboard the flight are captivated by the sight and watch in suspense. Jennifer sees that the eclipse has turned into its maximum phase. There have been no flashes for ten minutes. Full darkness surrounds the sky and the inside of the cabin. "Dear passengers," crackles over the loudspeaker. "I am the captain of the plane, Anthony Vots. Because of the solar eclipse, we will increase illumination in the cabin temporarily. I ask all to close the blinds until the sun's re-appearance."

When the captain stops speaking, the light starts to flicker. Nobody has closed the blinds, so when the light dies away, they see that the eclipse does not come to an end, and the flashes on the moon have begun to appear more often. Where the sun was, there is a rainbow; it is visible when the moon flickers.

The passengers discuss the event; nobody had ever seen such an eclipse that lasts so long and that is so dark.

Twenty minutes pass, and the pilot turns on the portable radio set. Interference causes it to buzz and hiss loudly. Jennifer has nestled against Samuel. Samuel has explained to her about the eclipse and how it is only possible on earth, but she is still frightened.

"I can't hear the engine!" a man's uneasy voice shouts.

"Yeah, the weak roar was audible earlier and is gone now," a woman adds.

"Shut up now!" Samuel cries out.

Complete silence was established in the cabin. Nobody peeps. No sound is audible. Also nothing is visible. The light above the seats has gone out.

"Oh, my God. What is happening?" another woman asks.

"Are we going to die, Mum?" a child asks in a shivering voice.

"No, Bunny; everything will be good," the mother of the little boy answers.

Again silence. Twenty minutes passes.

The captain speaks. "Under regulations, I should not tell you this, but, oh, damn it... I do not know what is happening behind the plane board. The lighting system has failed, but the engines work smoothly. There's no reason for panic. The devices that direct the flight are working, too. Communications... Communications with the ground aren't working. We will not reduce elevation until we receive instructions from dispatchers, but, here is what is remarkable: we still have not seen any big city of Europe. I mean none of their bright, nighttime lights. I think all of the lights on earth have gone out just as they have here."

Noise, whistles, shouts. People get their phones and call relatives. The newly married couple looks at all of it as if it's a dream. "Pinch me," Jennifer asks Samuel.

"With pleasure, but I don't think it will help. I love you!" he says as if he knows something and does not want to talk about since it will upset Jennifer.

"I love you, too," she answers, starting to cry.

Samuel wipes the tears from her cheeks and kisses her passionately as he did the previous time.

In their hearts they become warm and comfortable. They are together, and this is the most important thing. A small light appears and grows.

"Jen, look," Samuel whispers.

She turns to the window again and sees how the light from the sun intensifies, but not how after an eclipse when the moon gradually opens the star; it is like a light bulb that gets brighter and goes on.

The red light of the sun is replaced by orange, and then it turns to yellow, and then to bright white. The passengers' eyes ache from the flash, and they blink and cover their eyes turning to the other side of the cabin. The pain in the eyes amplifies, even behind the closed eyes. There is no way to blank out the light. Samuel has opened his eyelids slightly, and he is blinded. This time his curiosity about the event has damaged his eyes. Many people in the cabin have made the same mistake, and they groan and shout from the awful pain. Samuel keeps his suffering to himself knowing that if he cries, he will frighten Jennifer, and she holds him as if with the last bit of her strength. He hears her rapid breathing. She holds him as if his embrace will protect her, and he cannot break that embrace.

It becomes stuffy on the plane. The temperature rises by the second. Samuel does not pay attention to it because of the acute pain in his eyes, but Jennifer understands that the temperature is too high. Other passengers notice the rise in the temperature, and one man tells them all that the temperature is at precisely 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

"The ventilation system has failed," the first man points out.

"I think..," the second starts but doesn't have time to finish his thought before it becomes dark again.