25-Talented Teammates

"Kou-sama, would you care for a snack?" Aoi looked down at the servant that came up beside him, proffering a tray of assorted fruits. He calmly raised a hand, palm forward in a gesture of decline and the man bowed and walked backwards until he was out of sight. Blinds closed off the portable pavilion like structure as Aoi was carried ever closer to the castle. None of the guards or servants, save Mamoru, knew that Aoi wasn't actually the princess, Kou. Migota and Kaori stood to both sides of the pavilion just in case they had to remind Aoi of something.

They were nearly two days out from Konoha, but the distance they had traveled in that time was only half of what they could have gone if it had been just shinobi. Despite the slow pace, the palace was only a day away at the pace they were traveling, relatively close to Konoha. Aoi had been given instructions on how to act by Mamoru before they all left, so he sat straight backed while servants carried him.

From his elevated position, Aoi could see farther down the road than his teammates. His eyes scanned the scenery calmly, much like one would on a road trip, while in reality he was on the lookout for bandits or other threats. It was this fact that caused him to see a rustling in the trees nearly a mile and a half ahead of the group. Most wouldn't have thought anything of it, and Aoi didn't either, until he saw a brief flash a few feet away from that rustle.

Leaning over slightly, Aoi pushed the blinds to the side, gesturing for Migota to come closer to him. Migota did just that, bowing slightly when she was close enough. "What is it, Kou-sama?"

Aoi lowered his voice to a whisper that wouldn't be heard by the guards carrying him. "It seems there is an ambush set up ahead. I thought I should inform you." Aoi's voice was slightly higher than it's usual pitch in an attempt to sound more feminine.

Migota nodded, stepping away. "Right away Kou-sama." She turned and walked back to the cart that was following behind the group, and the sound of her voice could be heard. Moments later, a servant approached with a cup held in his hands.

"Kou-sama, I have the water you requested." Aoi nodded his head, reaching past the blinds and taking the cup, sipping it lightly. He handed it back and the servant disappeared.

The next to appear at the side of Aoi was Shikamaru, with a bird perched on his head, nesting into his hair. When Aoi had tried to get it to stay in Konoha, it refused and stayed with him constantly. It had taken some coaxing, but eventually they had gotten the bird to sit on Shikamaru instead as they traveled.

"I have a question I would like to ask you, Kou-sama." Aoi nodded, and Shikamaru lowered his voice slightly. "How many, and are they shinobi?" Aoi signaled there were nine, then shook his head lightly. "Thank you, Kou-sama, I will keep that in mind." Afterwards, Shikamaru could be seen talking to each member of the team, informing them of what to do in the situation.

Just a few more steps, and they would be upon the trap set by the bandits. Aoi's teammates were tense, but tried their best to seem calm and collected, unaware of the situation. The guards and servants continued, unaware of the combat that was soon to take place. Then, like a volcano erupting, the bandits flew from their positions, charging at the group.

_+_

"This is impossible!" Kiba growled out, not for the first time. "The area is much to large to cover in just two weeks, not to mention the target is moving."

Murasaki looked over at him, and rolled his eyes. "Kiba, with that attitude we'll never find her. You have to calm down. After all, I'm pretty sure your nose isn't just for show, so use it."

"That barely even makes sense." Kiba said after thinking Murasaki's words over.

"I think that Murasaki is r-right Kiba. It won't do us any g-good if we get frustrated now." Hinata spoke up quietly. Shino nodded in agreement.