51-Prep Work

The sun had yet to rise fully over the horizon when Kakashi appeared on the top of the Hokage Mountain. Aoi was already sitting there calmly, eating a rice ball while the ever present Hane seemed to be dozing at his side. Looking up, there was a slight widening of Aoi's eyes when he noticed the older jonin. He was well aware of his teacher's tendency to show up late.

"So Aoi, what was it you wanted from me today?" Kakashi looked like he was ready to return to bed as he relaxed into a slouch.

Finishing off his food, Aoi stood and grabbed a coil of rope he had beside him. "Hold this," So saying, the blue haired boy took one end of the rope and tied it securely around his waist. Taking the rope back, he passed it around the tree he had been leaning against before handing it back to Kakashi.

There was a slight look of confusion on Kakashi's face as he looked at Aoi. "What is this for?"

"Insurance." Seeing that Kakashi still had questions about what was going on, Aoi waved it off. "Hold it tightly and don't let go." The older of the two turned, keeping the younger in his vision as Aoi walked toward the edge of the cliff.

"Aoi, wh-"

"Hold it tightly." Before Kakashi could react or say another word he dashed toward the edge. Knowing he wouldn't be able to catch up at this point, Kakashi simply tightened his grip. When the rope didn't tighten, Kakashi whipped his head back around to see what had happened.

The sight that met his eye was anything but normal. Aoi simply stood there as Kakashi's expression changed from that of shock to one of hidden curiosity. The rope fell to the ground, forgotten. A sigh escaped into the air as Kakashi scratched the back of his head. Aoi took a soundless step as he walked back toward the edge of the cliff, returning to solid ground.

"I think I would be more shocked if you had actually fallen at this point," tilting his head, Aoi seemed to ask for more detail. "Why don't you explain to me how that worked?"

Retaking his seat beside Hane, Aoi gestured for Kakashi to sit as well before passing him a rice ball. Taking a bite, the young jonin began to speak. "You know of the three types of chakra training: leaf concentration, tree climbing, and water walking. This combines all three of those. You must maintain concentration while keeping a somewhat constant flow of chakra from your feet. To stay at the same level though, you must adjust the chakra level to change what you are attracting to yourself."

"What you are attracting?"

"Yes. I am sure you are aware that they use oxygen in hospitals, but that isn't all that is in the air. There are other things that are either lighter or heavier than oxygen, and by adjusting the chakra level it either repels or attracts these things." As if to demonstrate, Aoi raised a hand. There was a faint blue tinge as chakra leaked out, and gradually a faint yellow haze began to form. "This is only one element, but if you change the chakra level slightly it gathers different things. Going further, if you manage to release different chakra levels at different points, you can gather multiple things." There was a slight pause as the yellow haze dissipated to be replaced by a whiter version.

Kakashi gazed at the haze that had formed in Aoi's palm before the younger cut off the chakra and it vanished. "So you are using chakra to gather invisible things toward you like one would a kunai?"

"I call them gases."

"How did you find out this was possible?"

A distant look came into Aoi's eyes and he looked off to the left seemingly lost in memory. It was some time before he responded, but he was finally galvanized into doing so by Hane nipping painfully at his leg. "I just wondered what the wind type chakra was gathering and using in the techniques or how the fire burned without fuel in those techniques."