Chapter 11, All Hallows Eve

The next couple of weeks whizzed by, and while that was exciting it was also upsetting. Wewere halfway through October and everyone was atwitter about the Hallowe'en dance coming up. 

"I'm going with Alicia!" Anounced Jerry. 

"Isn't she like, a foot taller?" Asked Kreea.

We were all sitting on the beach in a circle. Kreea convinced us a day at the beach was a good idea. Of course the water was cold, so we were just hanging out in the sand.

"Two inches." Jerry replied, raising his voice over the laughter.

"D-dude... How are you going t-to dance with 'er?" Laughed Kyle.

"At least I have a date!" Jerry defended himself.

This was true, no one else here had a date. I was waiting for the right time to ask Kreea, Kreea was pretty sure she didn't want to go with anyone except maybe with her new gal pal-Syrine. But, Syrine was going to ask Kyle, and Kyle was planning on going alone to pick up lonely girls. That left Frank, he didn't really want to go with anyone. He wanted to go, though, but his parents were anti-Hallowe'en so he wasn't allowed. 

"Who are you going to ask, Johnathan?" Asked Kreea, reaching into her purse for the box of frosted cookies she brought.

"Uhh..." Was all I could get out. From the corner of my eye, I was pretty sure Kyle rolled his eyes.

"Well, if you need help asking her out... I could help!" She said gleefully.

Jerry choked on his cookie. "I doubt it, Kreea!" 

I glared his way.

"Why not? I know how girls think, and at the very least I'm pretty sure I could gossip some info out of her." Defended Kreea, licking the icing off her cookie.

"I could help too." Offered Syrine, "In case Kreea fails or just doesn't know her well enough."

"Oh, Kreea knows her just fine." Said Kyle, all too obviously. That landed him an elbow from Frank. And based on Syrine's smile, she got it. Damn it, Kyle!

"Aww, who is it?" Asked Kreea, grabbing my arm. 

"No one!" I defended.

"I don't think she'd like to be called no one, John." Said Jerry. I think in that half hour alone, I glared more often than not.

"No fair! You told them!" Said Kreea. Now if Kreea weren't a genius when it came to everything else, I'd probably would have thought she was daft. Kyle and Jerry were making it pretty obvious, stupid friends!

"I'm sure he'll tell you if you make him." Said Frank. I glared at him too.

Kreea got a devilish look in her eye. She proceded to chase me around the beach for about an hour. I was surprised at the fact she couldn't catch me, seeing as she was so athletic. But the second I had finished thinking that, she caught up to me, and jumped on my back.

"Haha, sucker!" She laughed. 

I couldn't help but grin. But then she got down, stepped in front of me and whispered, "Close your eyes." So I did, gulping once, she grabbed my arm and gently pulled me forward. 

After a few seconds, I could feel a big boulder beneath my feet. 

"No peeking," She said, "and don't move!" I listened.

Soon I felt her hands, placed lightly on my back. Then before I knew it she pushed me! I opened my eyes just as I landed in icy water.

"Agh!" I yelled. She had pushed me of the boulder and into the lake. It wasn't dangerous, five foot drop into water about eight feet deep. I looked up to see everyone standing on the rock, laughing. I climbed out of the water, and back onto the boulder, where everyone was still shaking with laughter.