Chapter 8 Silly Rhymes And Soccer Primes

At lunch, sport tryout sheets were put up. You had options of: Hockey, football, or soccer. Unless you were a girl then you could pick: Girl's soccer or cheerleading for the football team. Kreea pointed this out as sexist, I had to agree. I mean, it made sense for girls to have seperate teams from the boys, but not to have less options. Even the elementary school, that is actually in Stettlar, has better options than the rich high-school in the city!

"So which are you going to try out for?" I asked, keeping my eyes on the try out sheet.

"Both." She replied calmly.

"Hm, wait what?"

"Oh, sorry, both!" She repeated, gleefully jumping up and down.

"No," I laughed at her cheerleader imitation, "Are you seriously going to try out for both?"

She nodded, "Try outs are right after school, one after the other, tomorrow."

I found myself nodding, but at the same time wishing she wouldn't try out for soccer, Deena could be a beast. Deena was the team captain for the girl's soccer, has been since she tried out in her freshman year. Deena was the sort of girl you'd expect to be cheer captain on a TV show, she was mean and bossy and incredibly popular. She went through guys like Kreea went through lists, rapidly and confusingly. The confusing part was why anyone would want to go out with her, she was pretty but a total jerk! Maybe that's why each one only lasted a few days.

************************************************************************************************************

The next day, after school we were standing at the edge of the football field. Cheer try outs were first, then we had to dash to the other side of the school where the soccer field was.

"All right freshman! If you are trying out for cheer stand here!" Shouted Ellie, the cheer captain. Now she was someone I'd go out with! She was incredibly pretty with her dark curls, and baby blue eyes. Not to mention, not a total jerk. Ellie was very nice, but her dancing and cheerleading were her ticket to her college scholarship. Meaning, no time for boys, she hadn't had a boyfriend since the eighth grade!

"If you aren't a freshman, and you wanna cheer... Please get in line, over here!" Ellie called, pointing to a different line. Kreea got in line while I sat in the bleachers to watch. It didn' take long for it to be Kreea's turn, and when it was I was pretty amazed! She did a cool series of flips and handsprings, all the while keeping her cheering voice steady and clear. She did amazingly, and then Ellie anounced that the three people who made it will be posted at lunch tomorrow. So we jogged over to soccer try outs, as she jogged Kreea pulled her air into a pony tail and pulled a t-shirt over her tank top.

When we got to the soccer field, they had already started. So Kreea snuck in the back of the line and I went over to the bleachers again. Kreea looked pretty when she was like this, scratch that, she always pretty but it's different when she's running around. Her long blonde curls pulled into a high pony tail with a few strands falling loose, bouncing around on her toes to get ready, and an excited smile showing off her happiness. There weren't as many girls trying out for soccer as there were for cheer, but the ones that were here seemed really serious about it. The coach was standing off to the side, discussing with Deena and barking out orders. At least if the coach is here the team will be picked on who plays best, not just whomever Deena dislikes the least.

Kreea seemed to do well. She landed three out of the three tries on goal, stopped two out of five shots on goal, and followed all the coach's orders. Coach Emra, as it turns out is her name, seemed to like Kreea. Deena did not, we would later find out why but I'll tell you this: Stupid reason.

************************************************************************************************************

The next day at lunch we checked the "Who Made It" sheets. Kreea made cheer, which didn't surprise me, and soccer. But although she made soccer, only as a "sub," or as Kyle likes to call them, "bench warmers." Which means she'll only be used if they have no one else to fill up a spot.