I took my seat, placing my books inside their desk. Waiting for Jack was my best option. And what would you know, only a few moments after I sat down, he rushed into the room. His hood was pulled over his head, face hidden behind a pair of sunglasses.

"Jack!" I said happily as he hurriedly slid into his desk.

"Hey, Mark. Are you ready for another rainy day in Athlone?" He asked me.

"If it's so rainy - which it is - then why the hell are you wearing sunglasses?" I asked.

"No reason." He nonchalantly shrugged as he pulled out his music book and began to jot down what looked like drum beats.

"There's gotta be a reason. I've never seen you with sun glasses before." I grinned.

"You never see me with sunglasses cause it's always fuckin' raining." Jack told me, a smile jumping to his face as he responded.

"Then why are you wearing sunglasses now? It's raining outside." I questioned, starting to worry a little.

"Don't worry about it. I just want to look cool." He lied. I could hear the undertone in his voice.

"Take them off." I demanded.

"I've already told you not to worry." He countered, irritation rising in his voice.

"And I told you to take them off." I urged. When he ignored me, I reached across and snatched his sunglasses off his face.

I gasped. There was a fresh forming bruise underneath his right eye. My blood boiled and he snatched his glasses from my hands.

"I told you not to fuckin' worry about it." He snarled.

"Who did that?" I questioned, angrily yanking his hood off of his head.

"If I had wanted ya to know, I woulda told ya." He growled, his irritation with me growing by the second.

"Well, I would rather know. I would feel better knowing." I soothed, lowering my voice as to keep him from raising his any further.

"Kellin and Rasco." He answered, voice low and ashamed.

"Did you fight back?" I asked him.

"Well, they tried to drown me. If someone was trying to kill you, wouldn't you fight back a little?" Jack told me.

Excuse me, drown him? My head screamed at me to do something. To say something that wouldn't put lemon juice on the paper cut. Jack was not happy that he had taken the beating, and that much was sure. The only thing on my mind was what we were going to do now.

"We have to report this." I told him, grabbing his arm comfortingly.

"No. It'll only get worse. I should know." He said.

The moment he said that, the bell rang and Kellin walked in, only a few seconds late. He smirked at Jack, but Jack held firm eye contact with Kellin. Once I got a good look, I saw that Kellin had a deep cut on his right cheekbone, a bruise on his jaw, and a handprint around his throat. It seemed that Jack had gotten the upper hand at some point. This did make me feel better and it made me realize that Jack can truly stand up for himself. He'd already proved that, but I never knew what he was like with a one on one fight. It seemed he wasn't that bad at all.