Thirty Minute Mission

--Mark--

When I leave my fourth period class, I'm ready for lunch. After nearly getting pummeled into my desk during first period, I wanted to just shrink back and never speak to any living soul again. I was ready to just retreat with my tail tucked between my legs.

The one thing that intrigued me was Jacks willingness to help me out. How on earth could someone be so ready to help a dork like me, especially when we've barely even spoke to one another. I'm about ready to ask him what he wants from me since he's being so kind. No one is normally this nice to me unless they want something.

I am just outside the lunchroom when I feel a hand grab my arm and another hand went over my mouth, muffling my screams of fear and shock as I was pulled into a nearby janitors closet. When the door slams shut and I hear a click, I only panic even more.

I start to breathe heavily before I hear an Irish accent whisper at me from the darkness of the closet.

"It's just me. It's just Jack." He told me. I calmed down slightly, but my heart still pounded in my chest. I mean, why wouldn't it in my situation. The closet was tight so we were pressed against each other. The only light came from a few little slivers in the door frames. The darkness acted as a blindfold to me, making me unknowing of what was going on and what was going to happen now that we were here.

I nearly jumped out of my skin at the sound of Jacks voice as he cleared his throat and a simple sentence spilled out into the darkness.

"Did you consider my offer, Mark?" He asked me lowly, almost in a whisper.

"Yes. I did consider it." I said formally. I knew where this was going. It was all on my word.

"And?" He asked me, openly wondering what my answer was going to be. I tried to understand what I was getting myself into as I decided on an answer.

"I'll take you up on your offer, but first I must ask a few questions." I said. I felt an air that told me it was okay to talk to him now. Okay, get ready. Set. Fire.

"Is this going to be dangerous?" I ask.

"I don't know." He answered quickly.

"Am I going to be put in jail?" I ask.

"Not if you listen to me." He says immediately.

"Is there a chance of death involved?" I asked uneasy.

"Who knows." He replies nonchalantly.

"Are you just pacifying my ass at this point?" I throw out at him.

"Do you want to take my hand and find out?" He answered my question with a question. I swear, the questions and answers came and went like bullets from a machine gun. It all happened so fast that I could barely keep up, and I was the one holding the conversation. However, what I didn't expect happened right after he'd answered me. He stretched his hand out to me, and I could feel his icy eyes searching for my chocolate orbs in the short space of darkness.

I looked down at the outline and I felt myself reaching for his hand before I could stop it. Before I knew what had happened, I was shielding my eyes to the bright light as my feet struggled to keep up while Jack pulled me down the hall.

I sighed in relief as he let go and pulled open his locker, grabbing out a green skateboard.

"We have to move quickly." He said. I panicked slightly. Great. I've already panicked and we haven't even been on our first misadventure. We haven't even left the school grounds yet. Good sign or bad sign?