Unforgetable Night (3)

-- Mark --

The evening enclosed us with its cool hug and sunset colors as we left the shop. I was jumpy, so I stayed right beside Jack. My toes always brushed his heels as we walked, but I couldn't control it. Some part of me had to be touching him at all times. My paranoia had already kicked in and I didn't feel safe unless I was right beside him.

Having never been to this part of Athlone, I didn't know wether or not it was dangerous. Despite everyone backing away from Jack as though he were a murderer, I still didn't feel safe unless I was clung to him like a leech. I was nervous for many reasons I couldn't understand, especially considering the fact that Jack walked around like he owned the place. He was confident and fearless. He was like a dominatrix on steroids and here I was, a wimpy kid who had already hunkered down in his shadow with my arm gently brushing his for some form of comfort.

"You seem like you know what your doing." I gently said. He hummed in amusement, casting a look over his shoulder at me - you'd be surprised at everything I know how to do - and I pressed myself closer to him.

"You seem like you're about to have a panic attack." He countered with a chuckle. He looked over at me and his features grew from sly to worried. "Are you alright, Mark?" He said, stopping to grab my hand. The gesture put my nerves at ease and I nodded.

"I'm going to be fine as long as I'm by your side. Just don't leave me." I begged. I hadn't meant to sound so desperate and I despised myself for it (considering that I've just recently grew the balls to do more than whimper at the slightest miss). Jack didn't seem to notice as he gave a smile. He nodded, his hand laced in mine as we continued to walk.

"I won't leave you," he muttered by my ear, "I promise."

A cool breeze blew his hair into his eyes, making him sweep it back. He was walking perfection and I was the nerd from down the street. How did I get so lucky? I was silently thankful for the Irish angel as we continued toward our set destination. Wherever that may be, I have no damn  clue. Then I decided to ask, wondering if I really wanted to know the answer.

"Jack," he turned to face me, "where are we going?" I asked. He quirked an eyebrow at me and smirked.

"To get fake ID's." He told me. I suddenly halted, yanking Jacks arm as he spun to face me. I pulled him closer to me, his chest knocking against mine as I gripped his arms. My eyes were wild with amusement and confusion.

"What do we need fake ID's for?" I asked him. He gently brushed a hair from my face, fingertips ghosting over my skin and I shivered. Wether I shivered from the gesture or the cold, I'd have to flip a coin.

"You'll see." He said. Just his low voice set me on edge and he turned, staring to walk in the direction we had previously been going.

After a few minutes, we cut down another alley. We didn't have to walk far until we saw apartment stairs. Cold black rails that descended down from apartments to the alleyways. Once Jack picked a set and began began to climb, I started to worry.

"Umm. Jack? Where are you going?" The only reply I got was a high pitched giggle - one that chilled my blood all the way down to my bones. The hair on the back of my neck stood on end and Jack continued to climb.

"C'mon Mark." He said, giggling like a psycho. A deep breath and I hesitantly started to follow him up the stairs. Every single step was like agony for me. Worry coursed through me. My nerves were just all tangled and bundled in knots, jerking violently to free themselves. I balled my hands into fists to keep them from shaking and I stiffened my body to stop the shivering. Jack waited on me, allowing me to take my time. I appreciated the fact that I could do this without a rush. I reached his step and we continued onward together. Once we reached the door, Jack pulled on the handle. Locked. Jack cursed under his breath and began to violently pound on the door with his fist.