Unforgetable Night (1)

-- Jack --

I waited for the choruses of "What?" and the "You play drums?" as I sat there in my seat with my head hung down. I know my talents are nothing to be ashamed of, but music marks a deep personal desire to create and destroy all within the tap of a beat, strum of the strings, and a harmonized vocal solo. Music can alter moods and help people understand things in life that they just can't figure out. I am not exactly one of those people who walk around, shall I say, clueless; however, when faced with tough decisions, I always consult the lyrics I listen to. I fit in with music more than life. I have a soundtrack for every hour, minute, second - every moment - of the day. No one else knows that but me. I normally just listen to my own track and live life the way I want to. Just like my music, my life is very changing and complex. My music and life is proof of and revolves around free spirited rebellion. My life and way is -

My thoughts were cut short by Felix speaking to me in a soft voice.

"Wow. That's so cool." Felix muttered, a smile forming on his lips. "I've always wanted to learn how to play the drums but we don't have the money to get a drum kit. Even if we did we wouldn't have anywhere to put it."

"So, he beats and bangs on random items around the house. So what?" Kellin muttered. He runs a hand through his black hair and rolls his eyes. I have the urge to throw him out the nearest window immediately after. "Beating and banging on random items," he repeats, "That's not music. Music is creating and enjoying what you create."

"Spoken like a true musician. The only thing is we're supposed to build each other up, not underestimate each other." Mark says in my defense, making my cheeks grow redder than the hair of my fellow classmate, Sam.

I took a moment to look over where Sam was sitting and saw that he and Nate were conversing with each other. Sam tried to sing in a high pitch and that made his voice crack. Then Nate was imitating it, making both boys burst into laughter. Nate had already settled in and they were all trying to run over the basics - which they were miserably failing to keep straight faces as they both cracked jokes - while trying to decide who would do what.

After I had zoned in on Nate for a moment, it was hard to turn my attention back to my own group. Finally, when someone snapped in front of my face, I finally redirected my focus.

"Hey, we need to start figuring out the genre of the song and what kind of tempo we are going to use." Felix told me.

"I'm thinking something upbeat, definitely. Maybe a rock song?" Mark planned as Kellin and I sat back in our seats. Kellin clearly didn't give a shit and I was having a few different ideas.

"I was thinking metal. However, that's just me." I sigh as I try to bring back down to earth. "What do you think Kellin?" I asked him. I know we hate each other but the least I could do is try to be civil.

My civility was proven futile. With a deep sigh, he averted his attention back to us and shrugged lazily. He sat back and crossed his arms with a darkened expression on his face. His greasy black hair fell in his face and his green orbs pierced past the black strands. All in all, there was no way to force him to talk. The only words that would come out of his mouth were insults. The nicest thing Kellin has said was "Music is creating and enjoying what you create" and even then, he was trying to knock me down a notch or so. He was trying to one-up me and make my talents seem like nothing at all; he'd made it seem as though everyone could play an instrument as complex as drums.

Little did he know how much the instrument meant to me...

•••

After the final bell, I made my way to detention. Normally I would just skip out on detention. I would skip out and go downtown all on my own, wreaking as much havoc as I pleased. I would kill to leave right now actually. There was only one thing holding me back: Mark.