Morning Rain

-- Mark --

I toss and turn as I lay in bed early that morning. It was three in the morning and I just couldn't sleep. I just couldn't get comfortable. My mind raced with questions and possible answers. My mind racing with the events that have happened over the past week. Everything that had happened to me. My mind also raced with other things. Fantasies of Jack and I on amazing adventures all across the world. Oh the trouble we could get into if Jack pursued what I was thinking. The two of us wreaking havoc on the whole world while changing it all at once. I imagine the fun we could have if only we had more land to roam. If the world belonged to us. Sometimes when it was the two of us, it felt like it did belong to us. It had only been a week, and I felt like I was a movie star. It was one hell of a film.

I stared at the glow stars on my ceiling and I let my mind wander. I let my imagination run wild. I let everything rush at me all at once and I let my wild ideas become part of my existence. Every single moment in my mind made me want to jump up and partake in the action that was happening so many worlds away. A few times, my body twitched and jumped with the urge to fulfill the deeds in my brain.

I wished all of this stuff were true. All of the things happening in my head were real in another dimension. In an alternate universe, this stuff was probably happening. I would kill to live out these things. To switch everything around and be living inside my head.

So, at three in the morning, I sat up and looked around me. I tried to find some way to relieve myself of all this motivation that I suddenly had. I couldn't believe I was feeling productive at a time like this. Then again, this production would wear off once exhaustion took over me and forced me to retreat to my mattress once more. I decided to at least try and get some of this action out of my head and into reality.

I threw the covers off my body and I swung my legs over the edge of my bed, the cold floor immediately putting a chill to me. I stood and looked around. Not good enough. I walked over to my dresser and pulled out some clothes, dressing for the day. Deciding to not even bother with my hair, I went to my closet. I opened the doors and began searching. Looking around. Finally, I spotted my object. One lone leather jacket that I had been saving for a special occasion. I jerked it out of the closet and pulled it onto my body. Still not satisfied. I wrote out another note, saying that I had left early for coffee, and taped it to my door.

I made my bed nice and neat before walking over to the window and opening it. A breeze blew in and I smelled the humidity. The smell of rain was in the air as I leaned out my window slightly. Then, nervousness overtook me. Should I really do this? My hands gripped the window sill and my knuckles turned white.  The steady breeze made its way through the room and a little piece of paper fluttered from the corner of my eye.

I saw the gum wrapper. The first thing that had went from Jacks hands into my own and I crossed the room, picking up the small paper as the stale mint smell made my brain grow hazy. I stuffed the wrapper in my pocket, heading back for my window. Okay. This is easy. The only difference is that Jack isn't here. I breathe deeply before just shutting the window, discouraging my actions before my thoughts get the best of me.

I wasn't yet that brave.

I laid back in my bed, deciding to give up all hope of seeing Jack this hour in the morning. Disappointing. That's all my futile attempts at love were.

Then i thought about it some more.

Jack has never denied being gay. He's never denied being straight. He seems to like me okay. Not to mention, each time I ask him about his sexuality, he blows off the question as if he's afraid to answer. He wouldn't be afraid to tell me if he was straight.

For a split second, my heart raced and my hopes rocketed to the sky. Images flashed through my head; nothing dirty and nothing short of affectionate. Images of Jack with his arms around me. Images of us kissing each other softly. Images of us watching TV on cold winter nights. Snuggling on the couch with hot chocolate in our hands. Sleeping beside one another in a close cuddle position.