Problematic Life

-- Jack -- 

Mark and I run to my house in the pouring rain. Though we share an umbrella, we are still no match for Mother Nature and her wrath. Rain slopes inward and washes us both as we run. We're both out of breath and tired as we run past white houses hearing some dogs bark at us as we're the only living things they see. My lungs feel ready to burst and my calves burn, muscles screaming with irritation. It feels as though someone just shoved ice cubes up my nose as I feel my heartbeat in my throat. Though I want to, I don't stop. I'm almost dragging Mark with me as I run. I'm holding both the umbrella and Marks hand. Both threaten to slip from my grip due to the slick rain that makes it hard to hold onto anything. Almost there. Then my house comes into sight. I sprint faster, ignoring Marks pleas to slow down. Though he's yelling, Marks voice is only a whisper over the sound of the rain hitting every surface around us. We dash into my yard and we run up on the porch out of the wrath of Mother Nature. We were smiling, soaking wet, and out of breath as we stand at the entrance to my house.

This was the first time Mark had ever been to my house. Clearly nervous, he looked down at his shoes and fidgeted with the strings on his hoodie. A smile was still evident on his face, though I knew his stomach was probably flipping. There was no need to be nervous. At least Malcolm didn't threaten him because I was "the baby" of the family. I wasn't so lucky as to hang out with him without his brother giving me a stern warning.

Marks nervousness was beginning to spread into the air around him. Not liking the feeling, I grabbed his hand and turned his chin up with my free hand, forcing him to look me in the eyes just like I'd done back at his house. I held his eyes and my mind went blank as the little chocolate diamonds stared into my blue crystals. 

His smile got wider and I couldn't help but study him.

His chocolate brown irises were flecked with gold and black flakes. His eyes held innocence and it was something that I couldn't let go of. His skin was lightly tanned, as though there were a lot of sun where he'd come from - a trait I heavily wished Ireland possessed because I was sick of rain. However, the storm shower wasn't on my mind anymore. My mind had done wandered somewhere far off. To a place where I could kiss Marks forehead and put a smile on his face instantly. A world where we had secret rendezvous in a place only we knew of. I was far off the beaten path when finally, Mark spoke to me.

"I'm afraid you can't keep it, Jack," He told me. I was confused as I raised an eyebrow. He chuckled and looked down at our interlinked hands. "My hand, Jack. I may have use for it still."

I chuckled nervously and released his hand, a blush rising over my pale face. I'm not normally the nervous and fidgety type, but all of a sudden, Mark had me right where he wanted me. At least that was what his smirk expressed. Holy shit, he's becoming more like me with every minute that passes. By the time we graduate, he's going to be the descendant of demonic perfection.

Mischievous. That's all I thought he would be a year from now. Mischief.  That's what I believe his master plan is almost a year from now.

I snap myself back into my confident and dominant self, shrinking Mark back to his normal size with a playful glare. An evil smile spread into my face and he gulped. I don't blame him. I would be afraid too.

I opened the door to my house, inviting Mark inside. We hung our jackets in the hall, placed Marks umbrella in the rack, and took off our shoes - just to avoid hearing my mom scold us about all the water and mud in the floor - before entering the living room. My mom sat on the couch with Malcolm and Hannah, two of my many siblings. They were all arguing about something and I stopped short when I heard my dads name.

"Um. Jack, are you okay?" Mark asked, directing all the attention on us.

Everyone froze and stared at each other. Malcolm and Hannah stared at mom, Mark stared at my three family members, and my mom stared at me. We were all frozen solid - deer caught in headlights - as we sat there looking at each other.