Beat To My Heart

-- Jack --

Well, leaving school today was a total disaster. I know the word disaster can be an over exaggeration, but I am not kidding. Well, unless being chased home with your boyfriend on your heels can't be counted as a disaster.

Rasco, Jeffery, K.C, and Max thought it would be fun to pick on the "faggots" on the way home. Mark and I had began the walk home fairly fine. We were walking along, sharing my headphones and playing a contemporary tune rather than the metal I normally have blasting. It was calming and serene to us, walking hand in hand with grins on our faces and banter in our voices. It was a rare time where I enjoyed myself. Then, the four boys jumped out of nowhere and I took the first course of action I thought. Get Mark inside and run. Once I knew Mark was safely in the house, I allowed them to chase me here.

Now, I'm leaning my back against the door that separates me from the attackers and the outside world in general - something I've come to had enough of in these past few hours.

I understand people don't like gays, but why does everyone feel like they need to be complete dicks? For the past six years, I've been holding my breath and been spitting out the lies just to keep myself safe. Now that more of my security was breached, I was beginning to panic a little. First, it was my feelings toward Mark. Now, it's being gay in general. I've always prided myself in being mysterious and taking careful steps to not reveal myself, and now it's all open and its one giant misfortune to my name.

Why the fuck am I caught in the crossfire?

With a deep sigh, I kicked my shoes off and trodden into the kitchen. The hardwood floors calmed my nerves as I walked through in sock clad feet. I grabbed a bag of Doritos and a can of Dr. Pepper. With a sigh of comfort and relief, I stripped myself of my blue jeans, leaving myself in boxers and a muscle shirt. I crawled into the kitchen chair, folding my arms on the table and laying my head in them at an attempt to relax. One deep breath made my shoulders ease as I sat back up. I cracked the top on my Dr. Pepper and took a sip. Cold, sweet, and refreshing was the taste that made my tongue tingle. A Dorito followed afterwards, mixing the tang in with the sweetness. While it curbed a craving, it wasn't enough to calm me down. I sighed and closed my eyes. I sank down in my chair, leaning my head down on the back and shutting my eyes. 

Relax... I told myself.

It's all over. Your safe for right now.

At least until my own parents find out that their son is gay. Then what? Is my mom and dad going to react like Marks father? Are they going to exile me? I hoped not. I hoped it wouldn't be one of those situations, and if it were, I hadn't yet created a plan. Sure, I've thought about it and about every possible outcome. The worst thing, how would all of my older siblings react? I had no more time to question when a voice came from behind me.

"Hey little bro." The sudden voice made me jump and I was relieved to find it was only Malcolm.

I stared up at my older brother, grinning slightly. He was wearing his hat backward and an Ireland colored tee. I smiled at my older brother and he smiled back at me, making me feel happy in more ways than one. I looked over his beard, which was in a desperate need of a shave, a trim, something. He looked older than he really was, but it made my smile widen.

"Hey Malcolm. How was your day?" I asked him.

"Pretty good. Yours?" He returned.

"Fine." I lied.

Malcolm cocked an eyebrow at me, being able to read right through me since he's lived with me most of his life. Having only recently gotten his own place, he's lived with me for so long that he can probably read my mind. His next sentence proved my point.