Ch.1 - Starting off Strong

Our story begins in the world of Naver, within the capital of Emora, one of the many nations that lay claim to the planet's lands, inside the capital, towering over the rest of the city, there lays the Sunrise Keep. Matching its name, the red stones reflect an array of red-hues, projecting a warm, near fire-like aura, that captures the power and majesty of the rising sun. Before light could touch most of the city, life had already sprung forth from the previously quiet streets, the Keep alone, remained unchanged, it's fiery aura lasting throughout the early morning.

However, a single tower seem out of touch with the rest of this keep, a dangerous chill could be felt from just glancing at it, as though death itself hung there waiting in the air fir his next soul. Be it as it may, it was this very tower, that our "heroes" could be found, locked deep within the tower, stuck in a surprisingly lavish room, there they had been contained for the past 3 days, waiting and watching as their numbers increased from the previous 2 strangers to the now 9 distant acquaintance. Indeed, it'd be hard to find a more colorful cast than the one gathered here now: A soulful knight, a young elf, a clothed bird, a corrupt hybrid, a drunk wolf-kin, a crackling witch, a misty-looking man, a elegant "spider" and....a rock with legs.

After being trapped in the same room together for 3 days, some of them were very keen to use the weapons they were allowed to keep. In fact, the wolf-kin, Jack, was passed-out on the floor, having fallen into another drunken slumber next to the door. The witch, Wendelin, decided to have her fun and began braiding his fur, with tiny pieces of cloth acting as little bow.

However, the door burst opened, unsparingly knocking both Wendelin and Jack to the side. Everyone, save for the still sleeping Jack, payed attention to the man who walked through. Flanked by a handful of guards and all covered head to toe in steel armor, the man at the front could've been mistaken for a another guard if not for the blue mantle and white plumes, clearly making him out to be a captain of the city guard, and the presence he extrude matched his rank.

Giving a quick glance at Jack on the floor, and the fuming Wendelin, the guard captain proceeds to speak to the room, "Greetings, my name is Captain Darmen, I've had my men gather each of you, primarily because you lot seemed like the only bunch, capable and trustworthy enough to pass this off to. However, I understand that none of you should be expected to do charity work, so I can promise both gold and reward upon completion of this task. Now any questions?"

He stares down the room, waiting for someone to take the bait.

 Everyone, "".........""

Seeing that no one was willing to play along, Darmen continued, ".......cough, in that case allow me to explain the situation."

Darmen signaled to one of his men, stepping aside to allow him to place down a map of the surrounding lands around the capital, before returning to his place. "A few days ago, an imperial convoy, returning from an expedition at the border failed to make it back to the capital on it's scheduled time, upon investigating, the entire convoy was found decimated with no survivors...The matter being as it is, no one wants word of this attack reaching unsavory ears, and any movement from the empire's side would garner attention, this is were you lot", Darmen makes a point to wave at the party, "Come in."

Pointing at a spot on the map, he continues, "We are asking you lot to investigate, and if possible avenge the convoy, finding the masterminds behind the attack and if possible bringing them in to face justice. Do this, and the rewards are yours. Any questions?"

Almost immediately, the giant rock, Nezarec raises his hand.

Nezarec, "fgkhgafwwethvjhvdawe?"

Darmen, "...................anyone else, aside from the rock?"

It seemed that Nezarec's attempts at communication were....unsuccessful, to say the least.

"Is it necessary to bring them in alive?"

Glancing at the origin of the voice, Darmen saw it was the Hablen, Artemis who asked the question.

Artemis moved forward from her spot, "Well? Do we?"

Darmen, "....it is preferred that they live. However, in the chance that they don't there'll only be a penalty to you rewards, nothing more."

"....Understood." Artemis returned to her part of the room.

At this point, aside from Nezarec who Darmen ignored, no one else had anything they wanted to know. Seeing that all questions were answered, Darmen gave a nod of approval, "Seeing as that's all settled, my men will take you out of the city, there it'll only be a short distance to the convoy, I'll also be sending you a guide to lead you there. Please treat her well."

Ending the debrief, Darmen left the room with all but two of his men. The remaining two guard proceeded to lead the party out of the keep, having Nezarec carry now semi-awake Jack, taking them through the streets of the capital until they, eventually reach the southern city gate. The guards there allowed for the party to pass unhindered through the giant twin steel doors, afterwards calling out to a lightly armored gal of on the side of the gate.

The young girl runs over to the party, introducing herself as Nicky, dressed in the militia uniform, she had a light complexion with faint freckles covering her nose, and ginger hair falling to her shoulders. Seeing that their job was done, the two guards bid the party and Nicky good luck and turn to head back in through the city gates, closing the heavy gate doors behind them. Cheerfully, Nicky begins to lead the party in the direction of the convoy.

Nicky, "Luckily it's not to far from here, we should be there in jus..."

Nicky isn't able to finish her sentence, as out of nowhere, Wendelin stabs out at Nicky with a small ethereal blade.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so the party is formed, and the adventure begins!

Hope I was able to present a clear picture of what was going on, and that all the details aren't confusing. And for those of you probably wondering, no, "the capital" does NOT have a name. The reason for this being....I forgot....yep....In any case, if anyone has ideas for a name, please feel freed to shout it out in the comments section, I'm all ears!

Till later!