40 - Duplicity

René stood at the consol, her eyes staring straight ahead as she automatically steered the boat through the dark waters. Richard draped his jacket over her shoulders and stood shivering by her side, hanging onto the consol frame for support. The boat bounced and slewed across the chop at maximum speed and Richard had to shout over the engine and wind noise. She just stared ahead, steering instinctively on course for Genoa.

When they pulled up to the dock, Richard jumped ashore and tied the boat down, helping her out and holding her hand tightly so that he could speak with her.

"René, you have to believe me, I couldn't avoid any of this but now we are free of it; we just have to quickly get out of Italy and lose ourselves on the continent."

Her eyes filled and she shook her head. "All this killing and running . . . I can't do it. You go; I'll take care of myself."

No! You can't! Don't you see how they will just keep coming if we don't get away?" She calmly began moving away.

"C'mon, we'll grab a cab and get out of here." He tried again.

"Great idea, I have just the right destination."

The voice caused Richard to spin around, reaching for his gun, but the grip on his wrist ended that thought and he buckled to his knees.

"Not a word miss, one peep and I break it. Now you just go over there and flash your attributes at the next taxi."

Richard winced as he was hoisted back on his feet, his arm painfully twisted up his back.

"Who is it this time, Agency or Tremblay?" He shuffled forward as René waved down a passing taxi.

"I'm letting go of your arm, if you don't want your lady friend and the cab driver shot then behave."

Richard complied, massaging his arm, and climbed into the back of the cab with René.

"Via Balbi. Number ten, six, fifty."

The man turned in the passenger seat and smiled at René, indicating the gun he held near the side of the unsuspecting driver. The ride proceeded in silence and when it ended, the man tossed some Euros on the seat and climbed out, holding the back door for René and Richard.

They looked about the broad avenue where not too far along the road were the impressive structures of the Royal Palace and the University Palace. The man snapped a command to move and he shoved Richard east along the street toward the Church of the Annunziata.

At a small side street of cobbled stones, branching off the main roadway, the man halted and checked the main road in both directions and then silently indicated to Richard to proceed.

Ancient wooden doors with massive, ornate strap hinges, lurked in tiny alcoves, which dotted the stone walls along the street, and when they came to an intersection, the man stopped them while he opened a door in the corner building.

Inside was a gloomy room with old and worn furniture covered in dust, a few pieces, decorated with marquetry in the style of the 14th century that appeared as if at one time they were valuable. Richard and René stood on a tattered carpet in the centre of the room while the man turned on some small table lamps.

He stuck his head around the corner of another room and then came back, indicating to them that they should sit down. Dust puffed up from the stiff upholstery and René gave a small cough, covering her mouth.

"What do you want? Who are you?" Richard asked.

"I have what I want and who I am is of no concern." The man leaned, with little regard, against a faded but flamboyant chest.