20 - France

The ladder man stood huddled in the doorway arguing obstreperously with the party on the other end of the phone. The failure to keep track of Richard was pointed out in no uncertain terms by a raging Nathan who threatened to post them all to the Antarctic.

The other members of the team, the woman and the elderly couple sat in a car just down the block, all mulling over uncertain futures while they waited.

"He is such an asshole." The ladder man said climbing back into the car.

"What's wrong, Terrance?" The woman in the front asked.

"He's erupting because I said he was probably the last one to see Richard before we lost him."

"You said that to Nathan!"

"Why not? You think Murray wasn't watching the lot of us? Now we are supposed to wait to hear from him."

"That's not true," the elderly man said "You were at the restaurant when he was supposed to meet Monique."

"Yes, but he didn't meet her, did he? So I never did see him."

"I think Sol's splitting hairs here." The grey haired woman placed a soothing hand on the elderly man's arm. "The point is not to lay blame but to find Richard before we are all in Nathan's bad books, big time."

"Good point, Minnie." Tracy leaned forward from the rear seat. "The bit in the square with the kid was a disaster and you calling me on your cell was certainly a huge breach of protocol."

"I thought the point was not to lay blame," Terrance complained again. "You seemed to be having trouble." He griped.

"That doesn't excuse breaking protocol."

"I was just saying." Tracy sat back and crossed her arms.

"It was poor tradecraft, Terrance." Sol couldn't resist adding.

"Alright, let's get past all this trivia, calm down and tackle our problem." Minnie sighed.

The group sat in silence, each waiting for the other to make a suggestion. Tracy spoke up and asked if they should contact Sam and have him wait where he is until they hear from Murray.

"Oh, are we going to break protocol now?"

"This is different Terrance."

"Sure, because you suggested it."

"Children! Please, can we behave as we should . . . professionally?"

"Good idea let's go and find him, we can still hear what Murray has to say and brainstorm on the way."

Sol nodded and assisted Minnie into the back then made himself comfortable in the passenger seat. The car started and jerked away from the curb in response to Terrance being reduced to chauffeur.

***************

"What are those incompetents doing now?" Nathan inhaled half the oxygen in the room. He had flung the phone against the wall after listening to Terrance and paced about spitting invective.

"I just spoke to Sam; they are regrouping to come up with a new strategy based on what I told him."

"And that was?"

"Richard's last movements. Where he was staying. The stolen vehicle he drove and what he did with it."

"Why don't I just send you to fetch him, Murray, you seem to have all the facts."

"I think I'm better being of service here with you, sir."

"Hmmm . . . yes, I suppose. As soon as Monique learns what we want we will need to deal with her too."