2 - A Game of Lies

As predicted, Richard's earlier introduction secured a spot on the team preparing the foundation's new advertising campaign. His debut was accepted with enthusiasm and after the program launched, Richard was among the selected guests at a celebratory cocktail party.

Here, among the wives and escorts of the participants, he met finally Cora Whycliffe.

Sparkly, bouncy, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed was the definition applied to girls like Cora Whycliffe at one time. Short dark hair. Big green eyes and a mouth designed for kissing. At mid five feet in height and a balanced one twenty in weight, Cora moved with delicious ease on an admirable frame.

Richard was immediately taken with her open and sincere smile and wasted little time in gleefully initiating his directive. He fastened himself to her all through the evening, monopolizing the dancing and the conversation.

By the end of the night he had managed a future lunch date and even a chaste peck on the cheek when they parted. Richard imagined Nathan contentedly nodding his approval.

Five months after his first meeting with Cora, Richard had become an accepted addition around the Whycliffe home; occasionally sharing meals and a couple of family affairs.

With the enthusiastic touting of his abilities to her father, Richard was eventually interviewed by Whycliffe's advisors, resulting in his input for things promotional concerning the charity.

Richard applied his training and skill to create worthy advertising pieces, demonstrating his value through a number of successful campaigns. Eventually he managed to convince his employer that some travel to the area where Peter Killdrew conducted his business would be advantageous for research purposes.

An opportunity to show prospective donors an on the ground picture of where their generosity was being applied.

With Dalton's blessing Richard was given the green light on his suggestion and assigned to accompany his initial target, a reluctant Peter Killdrew. Aside from the undisguised animosity displayed by Peter the exercise was far easier than expected. Over the course of a few months, Peter only made half a dozen trips and Richard was able to compile a decent file on his contacts, modes of identification and locations where transactions took place.

Nathan received the reports with hallelujahs and abruptly Richard was directed to break off his contact with the Whycliffes and go underground until a full debriefing could be held. He objected, insisting he would be burning a bridge he could never rebuild. His objection was overridden and Richard, against Agency rules, met with Cora for a final time.

He manufactured a family emergency that would take him out of the country for some time and that he would speak to her father about taking time off. Cora was devastated. She had moved beyond the caution of assessing their relationship and was assuming further steps, possibly even leading to marriage. Richard avowed his feelings and concerns, the deceit a vile taste in his mouth. The family heard Cora's story and were all stunned.

Richard hadn't even said goodbye, he'd simply vanished from their lives.

The duplicity was painfully accepted with the oft repeated reminder of how it was required to complete his assignment. Still the bubble of deceit hanging over every aspect of the relationship left him disliking the man he had become. It seemed there were no limits to his moral deficit.

3 - Debriefing

Nathan was all Mister Jolly when the debriefing began. Richard had succeeded with admirable skill and within an acceptable timeframe. Congratulations were effusive and Richard gradually began to shake his earlier discomfort and feel more than a little pride in his accomplishment. The lingering guilt over Cora gradually dissipated.