37 - Bold Moves

After a strenuous and bitter cold disposing of the bodies of the two thugs into a dark corner off the coast, a good distance from Portovenere, Richard sailed to Genoa and instead of René's berth at the marina chose an empty berth as far from the harbormaster's as possible, hoping the owner wouldn't suddenly show up.

The trip had given him time to think and he flashed back on the men that attacked he and Roger. The man he questioned was committed and defiant; the man at René's gave up quickly. Not the same team, he thought. Not the same team at all. The name, Council rang in his head.

It was early morning before he docked and he took a little time to get a breather and consider his approach to going after Monique. Nothing suitable came to mind so he rented a vehicle and followed the directions from the thug to Jean's villa.

The action was already taking place when he arrived and Richard exited his rental car, stealing up the curved drive and crouching behind a thick hedge alongside. He was about to call to Monique when she first came out but the shots had him diving for cover and he watched the action take place in confusion. Who was shooting, and why?

Peering through the hedge to where he thought the shots came from another one fired, he caught movement across the wide lawn behind a raised rock garden. The figure moved into view once more, aiming his weapon and Richard snorted with disgust.

The SUV suddenly came skidding down the drive and he jumped from behind the hedge and waved his arms. Monique saw him in the drive, she processed very quickly the fact that the shots couldn't have come from Richard considering where he was, and she slammed on the brakes,  throwing the passenger door open.

"Going my way?" He leaped in and nearly fell out again as she tramped on the gas. The broken glass stung his backside and he shifted uncomfortably.

"What are you doing here, Richard?" She steered around the winding drive and then hit the brakes again as the iron gates to the entry loomed ahead.

"Having the ride of my life, it would seem. I figured you for crashing right on through."

"In the movies maybe, those are not breakaway gates, Richard." She opened her door and jumped out. Richard followed.

"You know who the shooter is, right?"

She stopped and stared at him. "Who?"

"Murray."

She glanced worriedly back up the drive then made a dash for the pedestrian exit. Richard followed and when they got to the street, he grabbed her arm and steered her toward the car he had rented and left parked on the street.

"That's quite a fashion statement you're wearing."

"You're lucky you aren't a woman." Her tone wiped away the humour he had displayed and he cast a sideways glance at her grim mouth.

"I came to get you away from Jean," he said as they climbed into the car. "He sent some of his goons after me and I found out what happened."

"You came to rescue me!"

"Yeah, Monique, I did. In spite of what you did to me, I still felt that it was us against the Agency, and apparently, I wasn't wrong. There's a van following us."

She turned in her seat and looked out the rear window. "You think it's Murray?"

"If I was betting, yes. Jean might send his goons out to fight but they really are no match for Murray."

"What are you doing then?" She asked.

"Getting away from him for openers. After that things will depend on circumstances." Monique slumped down in the seat.