38 - France

"Somehow she managed to elude me, sir."

"I find that most unusual and distressing, Murray."

Murray calmly related the events over the phone, including how Monique managed to leave the grounds.

"My theory, sir, is that she had someone waiting or, and this is highly unlikely, she fortuitously hitched a ride. The vehicle she sped off in was still on the grounds because the main gate was closed. By the time I got to where I hid my van they were well down the highway."

"Who, do you suppose? How did she arrange it? Something is askew here, Murray." Nathan dragged on his hundredth cigarette of the day and coughed the last of his remark. His thoughts skipped nervously to the mysterious Council.

"Another fact I have discovered, sir," Murray said, ignoring the questions, "is that the bank gave a draft in the full amount of the account to a young woman named Signorina Morreau, representing a Mister Arthur Glebeholme. I could not determine the amount."

"You mean the money is gone!" Nathan looked with dismay at his feet. "Who is this Glebeholme? Who the devil is that?"

"The bank manager told me he was some high level businessman with the government. My best guess would be Mister Carstairs, sir; there is nobody else active in our little drama that we are aware of.

There is another thing, sir. I have since learned that a young woman who was present at the restaurant debacle was also under attack in her own home. I deduce that this was the woman at the bank and that she and Carstairs are acting in tandem. The manager kindly gave me a succinct description."

"Not Monique."

"No. Don't forget, she gave Richard up to Tremblay. I hardly think that would have been received with grace. Besides, she was Tremblay's guest at the time."

Nathan shifted the phone to his other ear. "You said this woman was attacked at her home? What happened there?"

"According to a local source, the two attackers were summarily dispatched, or so he assumed, since they have never been seen anywhere and never left by boat."

"By this woman?" Nathan exclaimed.

"Doubtful, sir."

"You think Richard and this woman . . .?"

"As I said, sir, the players in our little drama are limited."

Nathan chewed his lip and stared absently at his cigarette. "What have you learned about this Council?"

"I'm afraid nothing, sir. It frankly has me baffled."

"Do you think it- they might be involved here? With the bank and the business with Monique getting away?"

Murray answered in the negative.

Silence hovered like a predator and Nathan ran out of cigarettes; his anger rising with each passing moment.

"So Richard and this woman have the money and are in the wind. Who then aided Monique?"

"I would have to go with Carstairs, sir as I suggested. Who else is there?"

Again, the name Council flashed behind Nathan's eyes. He cleared his throat, "To what end? She turned on him."

"I chased the car for a short distance but lost it in the back roads. The driver was more than normally skilled, sir."

"This is a very confusing set of circumstances. Find them, Murray. Find them, get the money and kill them both."

"Richard and the young woman or Monique, sir?"