Friends

The atmosphere at the Malhotra Mansion had been joyous (and every other word in the English dictionary, that meant gleeful) to say the least since DevAkshi had broken out the news of their approval for marriage. The ladies had been the most ecstatic. Sonakshi and Dev had been showered with lots and lots of blessings from their families, which also included Anjali and Raj.

Upon Anjali and Raj's insistence, both the Dixit and Bose clan had agreed to stay at the Mansion. Conveniently and fortunately for them, the next day was a Sunday, which meant no work and more family time. After a good family dinner and Rasgullas for sweets, all of them had settled in the gigantic living room of Raj-Anjali's abode.

"Hello...people?! What's up, Dad? Why has everyone been gathered like this? All good na?", asked a confused and equally worried Vihaan and Nia, who was on FaceTime with Raj. "Yes, son! All good...or rather great!", replied a jubilant Raj, confusing the poor souls furthermore. "Eh...what's the matter, Dad??", asked Nia. "Beta, there is good news. Humare Dev aur Sona ka rishta tay hua hai! They are getting married!", said Anjali. For a minute or so, there was no reply from the other side of the screen, for the news had not yet sunk in, in the minds of the husband-wife duo. And when the realization finally dawned upon them, their faces reflected expressions of pure joy and happiness. "Oh My Gosh!! This is just...just superb...awesome! Yayyyy! Congratulations guys", squealed a beyond-happy Nia, making everyone chuckle at and along with her. "Thank you!" DevAkshi replied, somewhat shyly. "Hold on, hold on! How did all of this happen?", asked Vihaan. What followed next was a detailed narration of DevAkshi's journey till now. "Bhai, Nia...aap dono idhar kab aa rahe ho? I miss you both so much!", Sona added with a sad pout before Nia and Vihaan hung up. "Ab toh tum dono ki engagement pe hi aayenge aur poori shaadi hone tak rukenge.", said Vihaan teasing Sona. "Bhaiii," Sona glared at him. "Sorry! Accha, no more kidding. We will come soon!", Vihaan said. "Promise?", Sona asked cutely, with a pout, making everyone go 'aww' over her. "Pakka promise!", exclaimed Nia. After a couple of minutes more, they hung up. Raj then FaceTime-ed Shriya and Harsh to let out the good news to them. Their initial reaction to the news was similar to that of Vihaan and Nia. "Congratulations both of you! I am so happy right now.", Shriya said; to which DevAkshi replied as shyly as they had to Vihaan and Nia. The entire family stayed up till late that night.

While passing Dev's room, en route to her room, Soumya knocked at his door, peeked in, and said a bit louder, "Nice choice haan Bhai. Bhaabi is very pretty." Winking at him, she ran from there, giggling. Dev was startled for a second, but when he finally understood what she said, he could not help but smile at her antiques (and also at what she said).

Sona, who had the habit of waking up early and preparing for her parents, decided to do so for the others as well. She had known her parents' and Raj-Anjali's likes, and while talking with Dev about their families, she remembered him mentioning the likes and dislikes of his family and his, as well. She was glad that she had decided to make a mental note of it. After having a soothing hot shower and getting dressed, Sona went to the kitchen and started with her culinary work, with the help of a couple of servants. She prepared paranthas, oatmeal, poha, and jam bread for the elders, along with hash browns for Soumya. For beverages, she brewed tea for her parents and Raj; green tea for Anant, regular (filter) coffee for Anjali, Ishwari, and herself; black coffee for Dev; and prepared chocolate milk for Soumya. There was still some time to go before the others would join her downstairs. So, having instructed the servants to warm up the breakfast and beverages when everyone would wake up; and pouring herself a cup of coffee, she settled herself on the lawn with the morning newspaper.

Soumya, who was not an early riser, had woken up early too. After tossing and turning, trying to drift back to her slumber and failing terribly at it, she got up. Having a shower, she moved downstairs and moved towards the lawn and saw Sona seated there. Sona too noticed her and waved at her, gesturing for Soumya to join her. Soumya obliged and went and sat next to Sona and wished her a 'Good Morning.' Sona greeted her back and noticed her nervousness to initiate the talk between them. So Sona herself took the initiative and said, "Umm...I am Sonakshi, Sonakshi Bose. Sorry, I did not get a chance to introduce myself to you last evening.", and smiled at Soumya. Soumya too smiled at Sona (and her efforts), and said, "I am Soumya Dixit. And it's okay...Bhaabi!", Soumya said, winking at her, emphasizing the word 'Bhaabi'! Sona's eyes widened at the word, and her cheeks heated up! Regaining her composure, she said to Soumya, "I am yet to be your 'Bhaabi'! And waise bhi, do I seem that old to be called 'Bhaabi'?", asked Sona. "Hahahaha...no, definitely not! But then what name should I call you by?", questioned Soumya. "Ummm...if you don't mind, you can call me Sonakshi Di...or even better Sona Di. What say?", Sona asked Soumya, raising her brows. "That sounds good to me. So, Sona Di...friends?", Soumya said, forwarding her hand towards Sona, for a handshake. Sona was happily shocked as she was not expecting Soumya to warm up to her so quickly. "I will get you something?". Sona asked her new friend. "No...I will directly have breakfast.", replied Soumya. The two girls then got talking. Sona made sure that Soumya was comfortable around her and Soumya too had got to like Sona, in such a shorter period.

What these ladies did not know was that their little encounter was noticed by someone - Dev himself! Even if it was a Sunday, Dev had to call some delegates early that morning, as they were to be going somewhere for a considerable amount of time. So he had woken up and was on a video conference with those delegates. Post his call; he had walked out on the balcony for some fresh morning breeze when his eyes fell on Soumya and Sona, seated on the lawn and happily chatting. He also witnessed their friendly handshake and conversation later on. What he had seen made his lips tug up in a content smile. He felt assured of his decision to get married to Sona. She had warmed up his mother's and sister's hearts, and he was confident that she would gel up quickly with his father too. With the smile intact on his face, he returned to his room.

Soon after Sonakshi and Soumya had returned from their little respite at the lawn, the elders and Dev had joined them for breakfast. Everybody present at the dining table had been dumbstruck to see the vast spread of breakfast, that included everyone's favourites. Upon being inquired about the same, Ramesh Kaka informed Anjali that it was Sona who had made the effort to make everyone's favorite dish. On learning, this Ishwari looked at Anant and smiled, and Bijoy and Asha felt proud and happy to see their daughter being so responsible. She started with serving Raj and Anjali, followed by her parents and when she was about to serve Dev and his family, she got a bit nervous.

Nevertheless, she started by serving Anant first. "Uncle, yeh poha aur green tea aapke liye! I hope yeh waise hi bani ho jaise aapko pasand hai, and you like it!", she said with a weak smile. "You have made it with love...then I am sure that it is going to be amazing!", Anant smiled back at Sona and patted her shoulders, making Sona happy. She next moved to Ishwari and served her paranthas and coffee. "This chocolate milk, hash-browns jam-bread is for you!", She said while serving Soumya. Tasting her food, Soumya exclaimed, "Sona Di, this is just fab! I love you so much for this!", and side-hugged her. The others, except Dev, looked on at the scene unfolding in front of them and were surprised. Looking at their faces, Soumya laughed and said, "Why are you all looking at us, as if you have seen an alien? We are friends, okay, and so I am cool with Di." The others smiled at the newfound knowledge and continued with their breakfast after Sona too, had joined them.

While the elders were busy chit-chatting with one another and Soumya was on her phone, Dev noticed Sona going into the kitchen and followed her. He fake-coughed to get her attention, startling her a bit. "Dev! You scared me there for a second.", Sona accused him. "Aapko Kuch chahiye tha?", she asked him; to which he replied in affirmation. "What?", she asked. "Jab aapne mere behen se dosti kar li hai, how about hum bhi dost ban jaye?", Dev asked her, nervously scratching the back of his neck. She looked at him wide-eyed. "So...friends?", Dev said, forwarding his hands for a handshake. She was surprised but engaged her hands in his. "Friends.", she answered, giggling.

Their fates too had been engaged that very moment, for eternity! ~