A Proposal For Marriage

Anant and Ishwari had retired to their room after that returning from the Malhotras'.
Ishwari was merrily humming to herself, which did not go unnoticed by Anant. He had observed her being a little extra cheerful throughout the dinner. Not being able to hold onto his curiosity anymore, he asked his wife," Ishwari, aren't you being a bit extra cheerful this evening? Not that I mind but, baat kya hai jo tum humeshase thodi jyada khush ho?" Sitting in front of him in the bed, Ishwari said, "Haan, baat to hai. Woh I...I have chosen a girl for our Dev, for marriage!" Anant who more than trusted his wife's judgments, when it was related to any of their kids, said, "Tell me about her." Ishwari smiled at him and then narrated everything that had happened ever since she had met Sona, earlier that day. He intently listened to her joyous description of Sona, with a content smile plastered on her face. 'This girl must be something to have won over Ishu, in the time of just a few hours,' thought Anant. Ishwari also informed him about asking Anjali to have a word with Sona's parents before talking to their respective kids about the same and taking things further. Anant gave his consent, which made Ishwari even happier. They talked for a while, and Anant informed Ishwari about his happenings of the day. He also told her of Dev's rapid progress in training and that it would be just a matter of a few weeks before he would be thoroughly acquainted with his work and start managing things all by himself. Ishwari's face beamed with pride, an expression that mirrored Anant's. Soon the duo drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, Asha was alone at home; as Bijoy was off to work and Sona had gone shopping with her friends and was to return by the evening; sipping on her second cup of tea for the morning. That is when she received a call from her best friend, Anjali Malhotra. After exchanging the usual pleasantries of 'How are you-s' and 'What's up,' Anjali came to the point for which she had called Asha. "Asha, come over to my place for lunch. I need to talk to you about something important, but I need to do it in person, and yeah, Sona ko mat batana, please. Akeli hi aajao!", Anjali said or instead ordered Asha. Asha found it rather strange that Anjali had refused to let her inform Sona about visiting the Malhotras', as Anjali had always been the one to insist Sona visit them whenever she could. Asha panicked thinking about her health and inquired about the same, to which Anjali replied informing Asha that she was in pink of her health and requested her to get to her house as soon as she could, without questioning further. After changing into her clothes, she zoomed off to Anjali's.

"Kya hua Anjali? Tune mujhe time urgently kyu bulaya? Sab thik hai na?", asked Asha, even before greeting Anjali, as soon as she entered the Mansion and saw Anjali working on her laptop. "Well, hello to you too, Asha. I'm fine, thank you!", Anjali remarked sarcastically to which Asha rolled her eyes and said, "Would you please do me the honor of telling me the reason for which I was called here urgently?", in a deadpanned tone.
"Before coming to the point, I want you to know that whatever happens, I always have and always will think of Sona's welfare. If I would do anything for her, then that would have been done, keeping in mind, her best interests. Okay?", said Anjali to Asha. Asha nodded smilingly as she was cognizant of the fact that Anjali meant every word she had uttered and gestured her to continue further. Anjali inhaled audibly and said, "There is a proposal for marriage for our Sona.", And chuckled seeing her best friend's wide-eyed, dumbstruck expressions! The confusion was etched on Asha's face, and she asked the obvious question, "But who proposed the alliance?" "My younger sister, Ishwari has asked for Sona's hand in marriage for her son, Dev.", replied an elated Anjali. She then went on to narrate the happenings of the previous day to Asha. How Ishwari met Sona, how they grew fond of one another, how Ishwari had been impressed with Sona, and lastly the marriage proposal. Anjali also informed Asha, that how Ishwari wanted to have their (Sona's parents') consent before taking things further. She told Asha every detail, not missing out on a single thing.
After listening to Anjali, Asha felt proud of her daughter and said, "I have no issues with this. I do know that you would never suggest a thing that does not hold Sona's best interest. However, before confirming, I will have to speak to Bijoy first. Wait, I will call him right away, he must be having a lunch break." Asha dialed Bijoy and told him everything that Anjali had said to her. He too gave his approval for the alliance. As soon as he hung up on the call, Anjali rang up Ishwari to provide her with the good news, who was equally elated, and she too gave Anjali the good news of Anant's approval. Anjali told the same to Asha, who was seated right next to her, and the two best friends hugged each other tightly, in joy.