Chapter 18

*Patrick's POV*

"Ready Pattycakes?" Brendon calls from the locker room. Patrick rolls his eyes at the nickname he'll never get rid of. A little over a week has passed since their trip to the beach and he just finished another ordinary day at work. He has his appointment with the eye professor so they can settle a date for his second and last surgery. Brendon is bringing him because Pete brought him to work this morning. He was running late and couldn't find his car keys, so Pete said he'd bring him. Later he found out that the keys were in his pocket all along. He asked Brendon if he could bring him to his appointment, knowing Joe's still at work and Pete's at a work session with this new band he found a few months ago. "Yeah, yeah, I'm coming." Patrick closes his locker and walks towards Brendon. "For that one time you have to wait on me instead of vice versa." He adds with a knowing smirk. Brendon shrugs nonchalantly and they leave the building, waving at Andy and Sarah who are quickly cleaning the store for the next day. 

They arrive at the hospital, Patrick already knows the way to the professor. They do the familiar tests and then he has to look in the sharp light again, this time it hurts less because he can't see as much. Or maybe he's starting to get used to it, who knows. The professor doesn't see anything out of the ordinary. He looks a little longer at the bottom of his eye, but eventually says it's probably nothing and that he'll double check during the surgery. Patrick nods and they set a date for the next surgery. Again a Friday. They leave the hospital, walking in silence until they get outside. "You alright?" Brendon asks. Patrick looks at him and offers him a small smile. "A little nervous, but glad it's almost over." He replies. His black haired friend nods as he opens his car. "Let's get home, I'm starving." He says as he gets in his car. Patrick laughs. "Ryan cooking?" He asks. Brendon nods eagerly. "Yes, damn that man can cook! Is there something he can't do?" His friend wonders out loud. Patrick laughs again and they head home. 

//

It's the morning of the surgery, Pete and his parents cleared their entire day for him even though he said they shouldn't do that for him. Of course they all ignored him and did so anyway. Pete and Patrick crawl in the backseat of his parents car and they head towards the hospital. Patrick wipes his sweaty hand on his jeans to dry them as he looks outside the window. A hand grabs his and gives it an assuring squeeze. Patrick turns his head to see a smiling Pete looking at him. Patrick smiles back, although it's a little shaky from the nerves. Pete lifts their intertwined hands and places a kiss on Patrick's hand. Patrick smiles again, glad Pete is here with him. 

He has to wait a few hours again like last time. He's sitting with crisscross legs on his bed, Pete sitting identical in front of him, a pack of cards between them as they play a game of spit. His mother is filling in puzzles, the ones where you have to fill in zeros and ones to solve it, while his father is reading today's newspaper. It's past noon again and they're all hungry, but just like last time, nobody wants to eat in front of Patrick. He hopes he gets taken away soon so they can eat something. Time goes by a lot faster with Pete here and when they finally come to tell him to switch in the gown and take the eye pill, Pete assures him once again that everything will be fine. Patrick smiles at him as he goes to the bathroom to change. Pete's strapping his shoes back on as he returns, he puts his clothes in the closet together with his fedora. He hands his mother his glasses and phone after texting Brendon he's about to go. He doesn't wait for a reply as he crawls in the bed, slightly anxious for what's about to come. Pete stands beside him and takes his hand. He places a light kiss on his head and Patrick closes his eyes for a few seconds to relax and lean in the touch. A nurse from last time, Ashlee he believes, comes in to take the pill back out of his eye and check if he's okay to go. She smiles warmly at Pete who nods at her with a friendly smile. A man and a woman come in the room to take him away. His parents come to his bed as well to say goodbye. Patrick smiles at them as he lays more down under the duvets. "We'll be here when you get back, love." Pete smiles at him, love and a little worry displaying in his brown eyes. Patrick almost laughs at Ashlee's stunned and later red face. She quickly regains herself and smiles, wishing him good luck as well.