Chapter 1

*Patrick's POV*

"Make sure you're back home before dinner!" His mom calls out. Patrick rolls his eyes as he puts on his black leather jacket. "Okay, mom!" He yells back before also putting a black hat on his head. He walks out the door with his keys, wallet and phone in his pockets. He jumps in his car which is parked right outside their door and drives off to his favorite music store. One of the strings on his guitar snapped the other day and he needs a new one. He has a few strings laying around in his room, but he needs a thin E-string and he no longer has that one because he already lent that one out to his best friend.

He pulls up a few doors down from the store and gets out. He locks his car and quickly enters the building. When he walks towards the counter, he sees a guy he's never seen before standing behind it. Fiddling in some drawers so he's standing with his back towards him. The boy is about five inch taller than him, has long black curls and wears a black t-shirt. When he hears Patrick entering by the little bell ringing, he turns around. A friendly smile on his lips as blue eyes look at him. Patrick can now see it's a Metallica band shirt and already decides to like this man. "Hi, can I help you?" The guy asks. He has a little black stubble beard as well. "Well, yes." Patrick answers, copying his friendly smile. "I'm looking for guitar strings. See, my thin E-string snapped the other day." He explains the issue. The guy hums as he turns back around to open another drawer. "Acoustic guitar?" He asks. Patrick nods before realizing the guy couldn't see that. "Yep." He simply states as he lets his eyes wander around the store.

He's just thinking how cool it would be to be rich and be able to buy as much instruments and gadgets as his little heart desires, when the guy turns back around. "I have three brands at the moment." He says as he displays them on the counter. Patrick immediately recognizes his usual brand and points it out. "That package please." He says. "Alrighty." the guy says as he scans the price. "That'd be six dollar please." He concludes as he gives Patrick the package who hands him the money in return. 

"Can I ask you a weird question?" Patrick suddenly speaks up while the boy with the black curls puts away his money in the cash register. "Depends..." The guy answers with an, understandable so, questioning look on his face. "Are you new here?" Patrick then asks before it gets too awkward. "It's just that I come here quite often, but I haven't seen you around before, that's all." He explains with a shrug. The guy visibly relaxes and breathes out a stifled laugh. "I am actually, yeah." He says as he reaches over the counter with his hand. Patrick takes it and they shake briefly. "I'm Joe." The guy, Joe apparently, introduces himself as. "Patrick." He smiles back at Joe. "Guess I'll be seeing you more often than." He says without really thinking about it. "Guess you will. Big music fan than ej?" Joe asks, crossing his arms in front of him now that he has nothing to do with his hands. "You could say that." Patrick chuckles. "I was going to ask 'What about you', but then I realized what a stupid question that is. You obviously are." He says as he points at Joe's shirt and then at the store to show just how surrounded he is with music.

Joe looks down at his shirt and laughs. "Yeah, I'm a music fan as well." He looks back up at Patrick. "I used to work as a waiter, but it was getting difficult combining that with band practice. So when I heard they searched someone here, I immediately switched jobs." He explains. Patrick hums understanding. If it wasn't for his great colleagues, he'd probably do the same. "Yeah, who wouldn't want to work here, must be great." He says as he looks around the familiar shop once again. "So you're in a band?" Joe nods. "Yup, lead guitarist in this local band, we're not big though." Joe tells him. "Must be fun, I'd love to be in a band." Patrick says, practically dreaming about it on the spot. "Yeah? What would you like to do? I know you play guitar." He says as he points at the package of guitar strings in Patrick's hands. "Sing". Patrick answers without missing a beat. "Though I also play piano, electric guitar and drums." He adds. Joe nods. "Cool." He simply states.