Chapter 5

Once we entered our 1st period, Anna unstacked my chair and grabbed my binder for me. "Hey, Megan, what happened?" My teacher asked as I leaned my crutches against the side of the desk. "Oh, I fell and broke my ankle." I replied. "Also, would you and Anna come with me for a moment?" The teacher asked, we obeyed and followed her into the hall where she shut the door behind her. "Yesterday, what happened? You both didn't come back and teachers were looking for you both, no luck." The teacher asked, Anna and I huddled close, backs touching the lockers behind us. "We had early dismissals!" I shouted without thinking, and might I note that kids were still in the halls since school hasn't officially started as of now. Lots of people stared but I didn't care, I was protecting Anna and I from calls to our parents! "Okay, back into the room." The teacher sighed, pointing to the classroom door.

We sat in the cafeteria, of course I sat with Anna as usual. The fun part about crutches is people carry your stuff and you get to use the elevator. The school's police officer, Officer Hockey I think, walked onto the stage (yeah we got a stage, not used often though..). He spoke into the mic. "Alright, keep your eyes and ears up here while I present the presentation!" He announced, pointing to the projector screen on stage.

It truly was BORING!!! "Hey Anna, what he said about relationships or friendships not lasting, you don't think we'll lose each other right?" I asked, the elevator was taking ages. "I doubt it, we're basically inseparable." She replied, leaning against the wall. I smirked at her comment. "Then here's what we can do, we can prove them wrong. Wrong that friendships and all that don't last." I exclaimed, she only nodded in response.

As the day went on, lots of teachers asked why I wasn't in class, Anna's did the same. I decided to sit with Anna today at lunch and skip recces for the practice rooms with Anna (she was amazed by my saxophone performance this morning). As I walked over to her table, I stopped in my tracks. She sat with the not only cutest, but most popular people in the whole school. I had no idea Anna was popular... I hesitated to sit down, taking my seat next to Anna. Anna didn't seem.. Involved with these people though, she just simply sat here. She played knockout with these same people at recces. "Hey Anna, you ready?" I asked, grabbing my trash and putting our practice room pass in my pocket. "Oh, yeah." She said, throwing her and I's stuff away.

I played her a few songs, she chose all of them of course. We went from practicing, to teaching her to play saxophone. "Okay, you wanna suck on the reed."I explained, taking out a new reed and handed it to her. "Megan, that sounds wrong." She stated before placing the reed in her mouth. "Okay, now you see the big part? That's the first piece you grab." I said, pointing to the body of the instrument. I put the saxophone away so she could put it together herself. "Again, shounds wrong but okaysh." She said through the reed in her mouth, picking up the body and placing it in her lap. "Bleh, thish thingy don't taste so goosh.." Anna said, spitting everywhere when she said it. I handed her the neck piece of the saxophone. "Try not to spit everywhere." I said, handing her the neck piece. She couldn't fit it in it's slot. I reached my hand out to help, but she denied. "I CAN DOSGH ITSH!!" She shouted, the reed was most likely to wet right now.. I placed my hand on her's that was holding the neck piece, guiding the piece into its spot. "There." I said, tightening a screw to keep the neck piece in place.

"ANNA THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT!" I shouted. Anna was standing up with the saxophone, bending over so the sax was almost touching the floor, the neck strap was the only thing stopping it from touching the floor of the small practice room. "I'M BETTER THAN YOU THAT'S FOR SURE!" Anna shouted in reply. At this point she wasn't playing the music we found for her, she was practically making up notes! A knock struck our door, we both froze in place. The door opened, to reveal the brass teacher standing in the doorway, giving us an "you are in big trouble" look. "Both of you, get your stuff together and meet me in my office." He stated in a stern voice, but it wasn't intimidating.

"Okay, let's go over the first thing wrong with what I walked in on." The brass teacher said, turning around in his swivel chair. "One person per room, and maybe both could be in band hm?" He questioned. He wasn't that scary, he looked about 30. "Look, we don't have agendas for you to sign, so scratch that." I said. "But, maybe we can come back another time, both of us in one room, but being good?" Anna asked, giving me a quick worried glance. I realized Anna wasn't defending us, she was defending me. "Okay look, you're both good kids, here's the deal." He took a deep inhale. "Every Tuesday and Thursday if you'd like, I can write you a forever pass to the practice rooms so on Tuesday's and Thursday's you both can come down and practice together, alright?" He asked, grabbing a piece of paper. "Yeah, sounds good." Anna replied. "Now, don't go around telling people, it's our secret okay? And if Miss Comrod questions you, tell her that I gave you permission, okay?" He said, giving each of us a laminated pass to the practice rooms. "Go ahead and head to your 5th periods, alright?" Anna and I got my stuff together, than her's and headed on our way.

As we walked down the hall, memories of some of the things Skylar told me ran through my mind. "You and Anna are the power couple of Jake Clay Middle School!" "You're MEANT to be Megan don't deny it!" Were some of them. As we waited outside my 5th period, I held my pinky finger out to Anna, who tilted her head. "We'll prove them wrong, that friendships last a lifetime." I said, wiggling my pinky finger. "We'll prove them wrong." Anna repeated, interlocking her pinky with mine. That's where I found my goal of the year, prove them wrong.