II

CHAPTER 2
Escape

"Did you hear?" Seokjin started with his usual starting line.

"What's the gossip for today, Seokjin." I smiled as I took a bite into the burger.

He had always done this, filling me up on the 'dirt' he had on the other colleagues or the latest news.

"Mona got an offer in Venice." He said and I choke, coughing instantly.

"Italy?" I exclaimed and Seokjin nodded enthusiastically, his hair falling over his forehead with that motion.

"Jeffrey Leo's gallery had an opening. Which was why she was away the entire week, she was sorting out some stuff." He said, using a finger to flick away the strands that were obstructing his eyes while I gasped.

"That's amazing! How do you know?"

"I overheard her talking about it in the pantry," he gives me a cheeky grin.

"Wait," I pause, "what does that mean for us though?" I asked and he shrugged.

"I honestly have no idea." His looked down to his tray, "let's not think about that for now. Are you done with the assignment?" Seokjin asked and I tensed up a little.

I couldn't bring myself to write a paper on it for some reason. Even though purity behind love was just one of the topics of the writing, something about it seemed off. I'd get a tightness in my chest every time I started reading about it.

"Almost." I lied. A sudden bing from my phone prevents Seokjin from saying anything further.

"Annora?" I say under my breath, staring at her name the lit up my phone screen. I was caught off guard, we hadn't spoken to each other since the night of the dance. I thought she'd want nothing to do with me after that.

"You okay?" Seokjin barely looks up as his eyes were glued onto the burger he held in his hands like an award.

"Yea," I shook my head. "I just need a second." And with that, I excused myself, walking out of the coffee shop.

I looked back at the text that read 'call me' with a frown but dialled her number instantly. The ringing tone dragged on for a bit, getting me impatient but finally, I hear her voice on the other end.

"Hey," I breathe out, stuffing my hand into my jean pocket as I waited for her to speak.

"Jina..." She trailed off, taking in a deep breath after.

"Is everything okay? It's been a while since I've heard from you." I try keeping the conversation light.

"Can you meet me?" Her voice was somewhat timid which puzzled me.

"Right now?" I throw a glance at my watch, thinking if I could take the day off.

"No-" and the line starts breaking off. 

"Hey, you there?" I press my phone to my ear in attempts of hearing her clearer.

"Yea, sorry. I'm out of town, with Dawn and Jungkook." She says their name and I go silent, getting a chill down my spine as thoughts start swarming back into me.