XX

CHAPTER TWENTY
you're next

I sat on the seat, watching Dawn dance with Jungkook and Annora with Jimin. The music pulsated through me but the only thought in my head was the letter that was in Dawn's room.

I tried reaching out for it but before I could, Dawn walked in.

I had to go back and get the letter but I didn't know how to since Dawn and I weren't on good terms.

"Hey," I noticed Jimin approaching me. "Thanks for not being weird about this." He said, scratching the back of his neck as he glanced at Annora.

I simply nod, staring at the ground. I heard him sigh as he sat himself next to me. "I heard that Taehyung wanted to ask you to the dance?" He questioned, eyeing my form sitting alone.

"Where is everyone getting this information?" I looked at him with confusion. Taehyung never spoke to me about, why was everyone asking about this? "And I'm not talking to my brother about a boy he didn't want me with."

"I know I was hard on you about it." He sighed. "But you deserved to make your own choices and I shouldn't have made that hard for you. I'm sorry." He gave me a pitiful smile, nudging me.

"It's fine," I breathed out as I pushed him. "Now get to your date." I said, pushing him off the seat gently and he laughed, ruffling up my hair lightly.

I pushed his hand away in annoyance, rearranging my hair as his lips formed a crooked, mischievous smile. He interlocks his arm with Annora's and I could help but wince distastefully at it. I was still trying to normalise the situation.

I sighed, slumping further into my seat. I sipped onto the grape juice sluggishly, wishing that it had a hint of alcohol in it.

As I stared at the buzz of students dancing together, a figure caught my attention. Her brown hair flowed down over her shoulder, her fingertips darkened to a near black. An eery smile played on her lips as her eyes glinted with mystery as she walked away, into the crowd.

"Yeona?" I whispered under my breath, getting up instantly. It had been a while since I've had these encounters. I followed behind her, stumbling out into the hallway. I watched her walk past a line of lockers, her fingers brushing against the metal surface, leaving a black trail.

"Yeona!" I screamed, my voice echoing down the empty corridor. She turned around and came to a halt.

Without thinking, I approached her. My voice was caught in my throat as I stuttered, not knowing what to say to something that was merely a figment of my imagination.

"Why do I keep seeing you?" I finally asked, my body now trembling as my eyes brimmed with tears that dripped with a blink.

She extended her arm, her cold palm brushing against my cheek and an icy cold sting goes through my body. "You're next." She whispered darkly, her fingers wiping the tears that stained my cheeks.

I pressed my eyes shut the next moment, "this isn't real. This isn't real." I spoke out under my breath, trying to snap out of whatever hallucination I was having.

I steadied my breath and opened my eyes only to find myself surrounded by pitch black darkness. I looked around the room I was in, heart beating against my chest as I stood in the unfamiliar place in confusion.

The darkness around me seemed infinite yet I felt like I was confined in a small room. I feel my throat clench, having trouble breathing as I start feeling claustrophobic. It was as though the walls were closing in on me and I drop to the ground, trying to catch my breath.