VI

CHAPTER SIX
kiss

"Feeling better?" Taehyung asked as I sipped onto the hot chocolate.

"Mmhmm," I hummed, placing the mug back onto the table as I crossed my legs in the little booth that we were in. "Thank God for this diner." I chuckled a little and so does he, but the look of worry in his eyes doesn't falter.

"I'm sorry," I finally say as I looked to the table. "I wanted to stay longer—"

"Hey, don't worry about it." He reached out, placing his hand over mine as a warm smile tugged onto his lips. I catch myself staring into his eyes, unable to get over how beautifully his brown orbs were streaked with the reflection of the lights, his pupils being easily mistaken for a breathtaking Van Gogh.

"Um-" And I clear my throat, pulling away the moment I realised we had been quiet for a little too long. It was weird how I constantly found the both of us just resting in each other's presence, no words needed to fill the silent void. "So where were you? I couldn't find you." I leaned back into the seat, burying myself a little deeper into his coat.

As I did, I catch a quick whiff of his cologne that remained on the fabric, somehow finding comfort in it.

"I was trying to find the replicas of Pieter Bruegel's works." His voice was soft and I gasped.

"They were in the museum?" I looked at him, eyes wide with astonishment.

"Yes, they were." Taehyung chuckled after seeing my reaction. "They came in for the exhibition but I couldn't find them." He nibbled onto his bottom lip. "And I know how much you admire his works so-" he let out a sigh.

"It's okay, I appreciate the thought." I beamed as I picked up the mug in my hands, sipping onto the drink that had cooled down.

I took in a deep breath as I thought about how weird today was, with the sculptures and man in the room. I tried not to think about it in front of Taehyung, not wanting to seem bothered by something but the images from a few hours ago kept flashing in my head.

"We should leave in a bit. I don't want Hoseok waking up before I sneak in again." An impish smile played on his lips.

"Sneak in? Does he not allow you to be out?" I questioned.

"Not exactly. He'd just lecture me on my 'destructive lifestyle' and how I'm not gaining anything from this." He finger quoted as he rolled his eyes. "Don't even get me started on Namjoon." He sighed with a chuckle.

"How did that happen?" I asked and his brows furrowed. "I mean, why are you guys living together? How are your parents okay with it? I'm pretty sure my mother would disown me if I were to move out before I turn 21." I joked and he laughed, the corners of his eyes creasing subtly with the smile.

It looked good on him. Being happy looked good on him and I was contented with the fact that he was this way with me, not having to wallow in whatever was in his mind for at least a while.

"Honestly, I have no idea. Hoseok moved out from his house because of family issues, he paused as he looked at me, "can't talk about it." He scrunched his face as he sucked his teeth.

"It's okay."

"So he needed roommates, I offered and my parents allowed it for some reason? I don't know about Namjoon though, I never asked." He sipped his drink.

I simply nod, resting against the seat. As I leaned back, I noticed the busboy gesturing towards Taehyung right before saying a few words to the cashier and my brows instantly knitted together into a frown.

"What's wrong?" Taehyung looked at me, following my gaze as he turned around.

"Nothing," I quickly stated, getting him to look back at me. This was the first time in days that I've seen him smile, I didn't want the gossip to get him back into his sombre mood.

"Don't worry, I'm used it." He shook his head, pressing his lips together to give me a tight lipped smile.

"I'm sorry, this small town can be a pain in the ass sometimes." I groaned and he chuckled, crossing his arms over his chest.

"It really can." He took in a deep breath. "Thank you," he whispered and I looked up at him with a frown. "I know what people say about me and I'm pretty sure you've heard 'the talk of the town'" He finger quoted. "So thank you for still choosing to hang out with me." He said and I cocked my head to the side.

I didn't know what he was talking about.

"Taehyung," I began but his phone buzzed, cutting me off.

"It's 5am?" He gasped, "and Hoseok's awake. Great." He threw his head back in frustration.

"My dad's going to be awake soon too," I panic slightly as he got his things from the table.

"Let's get going then."

The ride home was mostly quiet. I stared out the window, looking at the sky and taking in the vast beauty of the stars that were scattered across the blackness of nothing. I still tried to make sense of what happened but I had no clue.

We finally reached my place and he came to a halt, getting out the next moment. He walked me to my door step and I took in a deep breath as I turned to face him, stuffing my hands in his coat and then it hits me.

"Oh, thank you for the coat." I tried taking out but he stopped me with a hand on my waist.

"It looks good on you." He said as he reached out. "You can keep it," he whispered, tightening it around my waist and I go quiet as I nodded, not even trying to refuse.

"Thank you," I finally peeped. "For this and today. Weird encounters aside, I had fun." I nodded and he smiled in response.

"I had fun too." He said and silence embraces us once more as we stood on the porch, looking into each other's eyes. I only realise his hand was still on my waist the moment he gripped onto me a little tighter.

Soon, his hands were secured around me as he pulled me in a little. My mind was blank at this point, that spark coming back.

He leaned in and my breath got caught in my throat. I stood frozen as he leaned in further, his hand travelling up my body to my chin where he angled my lips perfectly for his. The more he inched closer towards me, the harder my heart beat against my chest. I was pretty sure even he could hear the violent thumping.

I felt his nose brush against mine, his lips grazing mine lightly as he prepared to kiss me but a light in the house goes off with a loud click and the both of us pull away from each other, being surprised.

"Um— that must be my dad." I said with a gulp as Taehyung ran his fingers through his hair, his cheeks burning red.

"I should go." His eyes glued to the floor, not daring to meet my gaze.

"See you around?" I peeped, not really sure what to say in a moment like this.

"I guess I'll see you at school?" He shrugged, walking backwards towards his car and I nodded as I bid him goodbye.

I opened the door, trying to be as quiet as possible, in hopes of sneaking back into my room but there stood both my parents with their arms crossed and brows knitted together.

"Shit."