XVI

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
awake

"Jina, what's going on?" Dawn's text read and I simply lock my phone, stuffing it back into the pocket of my jeans as I sat in the waiting room of the ICU. For some reason, I couldn't function outside of this place.

Even though I couldn't see Annora, being close to her was enough. I had been missing school regularly. Going one day and skipping the next but after the news from the doctor I had just stopped going all in all. It had been about a week, straight, since I've been to school.

Annora was put into an induced coma 3 weeks ago. The doctor said that she was supposed to wake up after week 2 but she didn't. They also said that she could wake up anytime and I wanted to be here when she did.

Dawn dropped by often in the first week but after the second, she stopped. I didn't blame her, our tests were approaching and the classes were crucial. But I couldn't care for all of that. Everything seemed so secondary after almost losing Annora, with Yeona already gone.

Life was more important.

"Jina!" I hear Anna gasp and she rushed out of the ward. I jump up a little, Taehyug's coat that draped over me almost falling onto the ground. "She's awake." She breathed out and I got up immediately, rushing into the room.

This was the first time I had seen her after the accident and my head goes light for a second, the room spinning. I wasn't prepared to see Annora the way she was. She was much thinner than she used to be, an oxygen mask wrapped around her face. There were stitches on her forehead, her right arm in a cast as well as her right foot.

I snap out of it, trying to focus on the fact that she was awake instead of looking at the downside of everything.

"Hey," Anna cooed, her eyes getting teary.

Annora reached out, trying to pull the mask away from her face but Anna and I stop her before she could. "The doctor isn't here yet, let's not do anything that may affect you." She said as she gently moved her hand away.

"Hi," I looked at Annora, her droopy eyes focused on me. "You're okay." I say and I feel my heart go still, the anxiety and fear that wrapped around it fading away slowly. "You're really okay."

I stared at the police officers that were walking into the ICU. "Don't you think it's a little soon?" I turned to Anna. "She just woke up, doesn't she need to rest?"

"That's what I said," she sighed. "But apparently time's a very crucial factor for a hit and run so-" She breathed out, sinking into the seat as she watched the man draped in blue walking in and out of the ward.

I stared at them, my heart beating out of my chest as I thought of telling them about Jungkook and before I knew it, I was walking right to one of the officers.

"Um- excuse me." I say, somewhat timidly, trying to get their attention and one of the officers turn to look at me.

"Yes?" He looked at me and I freeze for a second, going deep in thought. What I was about to do would change everything. Accusing someone of a hit and run wasn't something to joke about. And then I feel my gut twist, fearing if they wouldn't believe me since it was the Jungkook.

The boy who would never cause trouble anywhere, which is also why I couldn't understand why he would do this, if he actually did.

"Can I help you?" The officer probed the moment I don't say a word.

"She's awake?" The voice spoke out, stealing my attention. I turn to see Dawn walking in.

I gulped staring at her as she walked towards me. "Yea," I breathed out. I turn back around, the officer getting called into the room and I sigh, knowing I had missed my chance. Maybe it was a sign.

"What did she say?" She asked, settling down next to Anna.

"I-I don't know. We didn't get to speak to her." I shook my head, looking at the officer that walked out with the doctor by his side.

They wave Anna over and she walked over to them hastily.

"Jina," Dawn spoke out, putting her hand over mine. "How are you? You look-"

Terrible, that was the word she wanted to use. I could read it off of her eyes.

"Tired." She completed and I simply shrug, what I had seen 3 weeks ago still tormenting me.

"I took down notes of whatever you missed in class, they'll be helpful for the test." She said and I looked up at her, looking deep into her eyes.

All I could see was Dawn. The Dawn that cared for and looked after her friends. The one that would push her emotions aside for us. I couldn't believe the thoughts that swarmed my mind, the ones that accused her of covering up for Jungkook.

Maybe Jungkook was innocent and I was just losing it, my guilt for what happened with Yeona projecting onto someone else, looking for a person to blame for anything at all.

"Thanks." I breathed out, looking to the ground. I wrapped the coat over me more, feeling a chill rush through me.

"Isn't that Taehyung's?" She asked and I almost choke at that name. It's been a while since I've heard it.

"This?" I looked down at the coat, the night from when he gave it to me coming back and I nibble against the inside of my cheek. "Yea," I shook my head.

"Are the both of you still-"

"No." I say even before she could finish. "I've not spoken to him since Annora..." I trailed off and she nods. I tighten the coat around me, my mind now on Taehyung. I wondered how he was doing, if he was wondering the same thing about me. If he even thought about me.

"What did they say?" Dawn asked as Anna walked over to us.

She shook her head, her glum expression causing me to go slightly anxious. "She doesn't remember a thing."

"Oh." Dawn lets out, sinking into her seat.