XIX

CHAPTER NINETEEN
cupid

"What about you? What're you wearing?" Annora peeped, holding her dress close to her chest.

"This," I threw the dress onto the bed and it lands with a soft thump. Annora got up, almost tripping over as she went to have a closer look at my dress. "Be careful!" I gasped, reaching out for her.

"Relax," she brushed me off. "I was discharged last week, I'm no longer fragile." She rolled her eyes with a chuckle. In the hospital, I was extra cautious around her, the word fragile slipping out on accident as I was scared she was overworking herself since she was still healing but she didn't like it.

"It doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful, you're still in casts." I threw a glance at her ankle and arm as she waves it off.

"Anyway, this dress is beautiful, Jina." She sat back on Dawn's bed, Dawn coming in the next moment with a dress of her own.

"So, this is mine." She said, laying down her dress in front of us. I go silent, not wanting to say a thing when Annora gasps.

"It's so pretty," her eyes go wide as she stared at the dress in awe.

"Should we start getting ready?" I cut in, not passing Dawn a glance.

The both of us were simply putting up with each other, not wanting to upset Annora. She had been through enough.

"Mmhmm." Annora hummed, getting out of bed but before she could, her eyes lit up. "Oh, and who are you going to the dance with?" Annora asked me. "I know Dawn's going with Jungkook." She states and I groan inwardly but I tried not to let my agitation show.

"I thought we were supposed to be each other's dates?" I questioned, winking a little at Annora but she gives me a guilty grin. "Don't tell me you have a date." I looked at her, shock crossing my face.

"I do," she squeaked. "Dawn kinda set me up," she said and I simply looked to the ground. "With Jimin."

"What?" My head sprung up, staring at the both of them with disbelief. "Please tell me you're joking." I looked at Annora with desperation.

"I know, Taehyung tried setting me up with Namjoon but I know Jimin better and he's really-"

"I don't want to hear this." I cover my ears, the thought of my best friend and brother going to the dance as dates mildly disgusting me.

"I'm sorry, Dawn's like cupid. She has a way with words you know. She brought the two of us together and-" she smashed both her hands together, mimicking a mini explosion to get her point across.

"I can't believe he didn't tell me."

"I told him not to, I wanted you to hear it from me." Annora said, reaching out to grab my hand. "I promise I won't leave your side though." She stated and I simply sigh.

"Besides, I thought Taehyung asked you." Dawn spoke out softly from behind me and I frown slightly.

"No." I shook my head. "We've not spoken to each other in a while." I say, my finger tracing the outline of the black lace of my dress. My gaze lands onto my fingertips, studying my nails that were bitten down and I start wondering when I had started the bad habit.

"What happened between the two of you?" Annora asked, curiosity burning through her eyes.

"Noth-"

"Don't you dare say nothing." She snapped at me.

"Okay, fine." I sighed as I raised my hands in surrender. "We had a thing." I said, throwing Dawn a quick glance right before sinking lower.

I feel them staring at me as they waited for me to elaborate.

"But, it's over now." I quickly say, hoping she'd drop it.

"Were the two of you serious?" Annora sprung out another question and I shrug.

"I don't know. We had to end things before we could have the what are we exactly talk." I say, my eyes still focused on my fingers.

"Did you guys-" Annora paused as she lowered her head slightly, "do it?" She whispered and for some reason I threw a pillow at her, feeling my cheeks flush with heat.

I felt like Dawn would judge me but she stared at me with a look I didn't expect. Instead of judgement, she looked at me with worry.

"Almost, but we never got to it." I whispered back as I nibbled onto my bottom lip.

"Why not?" Annora pouted slightly.

"I don't want to talk about this." I finally say, dropping the conversation and Annora simply gives in.

"I'll go get changed." Dawn said, throwing her dress over her arm as she walked out.

"I think I'll start with my makeup." Annora said, hopping onto her right feet, limping towards the door. I feel my heart sink as I watch her in the state she was in. I couldn't understand how Dawn watched her without feeling a hint of guilt.

Maybe I was just losing it.

I got up, closing the door behind her as I decided to get into my dress first. I pull my shirt over my head, tossing it onto her chair but it falls to the ground instead. I quickly bent over, not wanting to leave her room a mess.

I reached out, grabbing my shirt and as I was about to stand back up, something white in the cracks of her floor caught my attention.

"What the-" I leaned in closer to get a better look and I feel a wave of nausea wash over me as anxiety gripped onto my being.

It was a note.

It was the note.

The note I found at Yeona's place a month before.