The Date

Cameron's Pov

I drove to Diana's place. We were supposed to go on a date. I still think it's a bad idea but I didn't have it in me to refuse her. She was right. I couldn't expect to be given a chance if I don't give it myself. So I borrowed my Dad's car because mine is still in New Jersey. It's the only the reason why I prefer driving 5 hours to get here instead of going for an hour-long flight.

I pulled over in the front of my house and rung the doorbell. Lauren opened it for me. She was a red-haired lady with freckles on her nose. She smiled warmly at me. "Hello, Lauren" I greeted. "Cameron. It's always a pleasure to meet you," she pulled me into a motherly hug and invited me in. I talked to her for a few minutes along with treating myself with her special herbal tea. She'd always been a family to me.

"I made you your favorite truffle," she handed me a plate and some more in a paper bag. It was delicious as always. "You're the best," I said with a mouthful of dessert. She smiled and I heard footsteps.

Diana was wearing a green sweater, my favorite color. Her hair was curled at the bottom. She looked pretty and elegant as always. My valedictorian best friend. Wow, that's not how you usually acknowledge your date.

"Hi, Diana. You look lovely," I remembered my manners and pressed my lips to her hand. She blushed. Perfectly suave there, Hardwick!

"I suppose you two are leaving. Have fun," Lauren gave us a grin and I led Diana to the car. "You brought your Dad's car? Why? We could've driven mine," she frowned. "It's a date," I opened the door for her. "And who thought Cameron Hardwick could be a gentleman," she teased.

I shut the door at her side and drove to the restaurant I made reservations at. "I'm a perfect gentleman, okay?" I said defensively. She raised an eyebrow. "Oh sorry, my fault. That behavior only comes out with a lady," I smirked. "And you're back to being an asshole," she rolled her eyes.

"Woah! When did my little girl grow up? Look at her speaking profanities," I teased. "Shut up, Cameron. I'm 22 for crying out loud. You don't always have to act like I'm your....," her voice trailed off.

"What Diana?" I said seriously.
"Your baby sister that needs saving from school's popular girls. Also, your fan club," she said bitterly.
"I never said you needed saving. I just couldn't help but be protective of you," I said truly and she blushed.

"Where are we going?" She said changing the topic. "Look yourself," I pulled over in the parking. "Lunch at a restaurant? So cliche," she teased but looked pleased. "Wait till you get inside," I told her and opened the door for her.

I had been here with my parents and Betty. It is one of those posh eateries that my father loves. The food is divine and that's not even the best thing about the place. "It's so pretty. The architecture, the interior," Diana's eyes went wide open. "How come I never been here?" She wondered aloud. "I don't know. Extra classes, library, tutoring?" I reminded her. "Most people aren't born with brilliant minds. We have to work hard," she argued. "Well, what can I say? I'm special," I smirked.

"Mr. Hardwick. I would escort you to your table," a man in his thirties showed us our table. It was on the terrace with an inbuilt waterfall like a fountain at the corner. The whole place was surrounded by shrubs and flower plants. The furniture looked like it was carved out of wood. The place smelled faintly of a forest. Dry ice was used to simulate the effect of the mist.

"It looks like an enchanted forest," Diana exclaimed. They didn't have music but a sound clip that reminds of insects humming at night. It was peaceful.

"You liked it?" I asked her. "I loved it," she said happily. Our lunch was brought in wooden vessels. Tissue papers were designed in the form of a leaf. The waitresses were dressed somewhat like pixies. The men were dressed like elves.