💤💤💤💤

"Hey, did you see Art?" I hear a voice in the background but don't allow my eyes to fluctuate from where they are.

"She's in the kitchen" Another voice replies and I really want to tune them out because they are imposing.

Footsteps approach our way and Mom looks up from the vegetables she was so intently cutting to see who it is.

I frown.

"What do you want Lyn?" I say without taking my eyes off my Mom. She is staring at Lyn with wide eyes that look slightly wet to me.

"Alex said to get ready if you want to tag along for Barcelona" He says, standing 5 feet away from me.

It's been six months since I came here and we've become civil with each other, but I still haven't allowed him to touch me. Nor does he take the initiative.

Every time he is near me, he makes sure his hands are busy or shoved in his pocket, like now. The five feet distance something that went without saying.

It works for both of us.

"I'll be there" I tell him, wishing he would leave already so I can get back to teaching my Mom how to make an omlette. Yes, my Mom does not know how to make an omlette. As a matter of fact, she cannot make anything other than coffee, but you should usually try to avoid drinking the coffee she makes. Just saying.

"Hey Ashallyn" Mom says awkwardly.

"Hello Mrs Anderson" His voice is all formal and stiff, making Mom flinch. Ron is very close to her, so of course she is hurt when Ash is not the same.

"When are you and Uncle T leaving?" He asks and I see Mom frown, seeing him address Pa with more familarity.

"Our flight is at 9 o'clock" Mom tells him with a strained smile shot my way.

"Have a safe flight then" He says casually and with one last look at me, he walks away.

When he is out of earshot, my Mom looks at me with sad eyes.

"That will be all for now, champ. You can go"

My heart starts beating faster as I prepare to beg Mom to take me back home with her.

"Mom-"

"Don't say it, Artemis. I hate saying no to you" she pleads.

"But Mom... I feel lonely here. I want to go back to Little West. To stay with you and Pa... And Auntie Del and Ron..." my voice cracks.

Her eyes harden on hearing Ron'd name and she says, "You are not coming home, Artemis. Not today and not anytime in the near future"

I take a step away from her, as she adds, "As for feeling lonely? I suggest you make some friends. You will need them"

"Mom-"

"You are not coming home. And that's final" She turns away from me, making me feel agitated.

"That's not fair! I want-"

Mom laughs, a humorless laugh.

"Life is never fair Artemis. Never. You'll do better to learn that" are her last words to me as she walks out of the kitchen without a backward glance.

💤💤💤💤

Funny how our mind processes things, right? When I was eight years old, and my Mom refused to take me back to Little West, all I could think was my parents didn't love me enough to keep me with them.