Before Sunset

The next day I was walking around the house when I saw Tyler packing things up.

"Tyler? What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"Klaus wants me to pack up his house for him." he told me and I nodded.

"Ok." I said about to leave the room.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" he asked me and I turned to him and nodded. "Why did you help me?"

"Everyone should have the free will to choose what they want in life." I told him.

"That's it?" he asked me.

"Of course. Why else would I help?" I asked him.

"It's not Care that got me through all those transformations." he told me and I gave him a confused look.

"What are you talking about?" I asked him.

"You got me through everything that happened to me. Transforming over and over and over again I thought of only you." he told me.

"Tyler, you love Caroline. Not me. If Nik heard you talking like that he'd kill you." I warned him.

"I don't care." he told me.

"You need to get back to what you were doing." I told him, walking away. I did not need this right now. My phone suddenly rang and I answered it confused. The caller ID read Ric.

"Whoever this is needs to leave me alone. I'm having a bad day." I warned them.

"Well, who else would it be?" the voice on the other end asked, making me freeze.

"Ric." I said, not bothering to ask.

"Listen closely, I'm at the school, I have Caroline, and if you want to keep her alive, I need you to get in your car and come down here right away. If you tell anyone where you are going, I will kill her." he warned me before hanging up. I hung up and looked behind me at Tyler working. I quickly made my decision and left the house.

I pulled up to the school in time to see Elena getting out of her car. She looked at me confused.

"I guess you got a phone call too?" I asked her and she nodded. We walked into the school together and walked, not knowing where to go. Suddenly we heard something and ran towards the noise. We entered Ric's old classroom and saw Care with pencils in her hands and a cloth in her mouth.

"Oh my god." I said going to her.

"Caroline." Elena turned to look at Ric. "Let her go, Alaric!"

"Free her yourself." he told us. They stared at each other and I turned to the pencils in her hand and started to lift one of them out of her hand as Elena did the same with the other. Suddenly Ric's hands slammed down on the pencils and Care screamed in pain.

"You said that you would let her go!" Elena yelled standing up.

"How many times do I have to tell you, Elena? Stop trusting vampires!" Ric shouted at her before shoving us into two desks on either side of Caroline. Ric took the cloth from Care's mouth and dipped it into a beaker of vervain water. I looked at Care and saw her mouth was very red and appeared to have been peeled away.

"No, no more, please, no more!" Care begged him.

"Alaric stop!" Elena ordered him while standing. Ric pushed her back into her seat.

"Sit down! This keeps the vervain in her system. It's like inhaling razor blades with every breath." Ric told us as he put the cloth back in Care's mouth. Her skin began to smoke and burn making me cringe. Care cried and screamed in pain.