Chapter 16

Third person P.O.V

Riley started the car, putting it into reverse. Her head turned around to check her blind spot.

"Riley, what the hell happened to your hand?"

The blonde snapped her attention back to her new girlfrien her mouth moving like a fish out of water. She shifted the gear stick into neutral knowing she would have to tell the truth.
Alexa's face scowling at her. The raven haired pulled Riley's hand to her. "She did this to you didn't she? When she was 'Holding your hand'?" her words laced with poison riley flinched. "Rile?"
The blonde stared at her girlfriend and then at the injury. Alexa's eyes burning through her with every second that went past. Riley unbuckled her seatbelt and exited the car, the lack of oxygen in the car made her dizzy. Alexa followed in suite. Her comforting hands on Riley's waist, her soothing words echoing through the blonde's ears. Riley panted whilst struggling for air. Alexa's grasp was strong. Riley felt at ease but her body struggled to cope with the stress it induced.
Riley lost her strength collapsing in Alexa's arms. Alexa caught her struggling girlfriend with ease. Catching her before she thumped into the ground like a sack of potatoes. Alexa let out a grunt, dragging Riley into the backseat of her car at ease.
The raven haired climbed into the back. "Riley?" she whispered. "You're safe."
***
Riley's eyes flickered open. A piercing pain shot from her eye's to the back of her skull causing her to groan. The figure sat next to her shuffled slowly until it was in her view. Alexa peered won to riley with a smile. She wore grey sweat pants with a white t shirt, her hair tied up in a bun. Riley's eyes squinted sheltering them from the light invading her pupils. Riley sat up feeling weaker than she anticipated. Her girlfriend greeted her with a slow kiss. She sat on the bed wrapping her hands on rileys waist. Riley felt a wave of safety wrapping itself around her. She sighed. "Please can you tell me what happened because I don't have any recollection as to how I got into my bed."
Alexa sighed hard. "Baby, you passed out Friday night when I questioned you about your hands. Please don't take this the wrong way but I think you need to go to a doctor. Your tablets aren't doing enough for you anymore." her head dropped as her body clung to Riley silently pleading not to take the explanation in the wrong way.
Riley's face dropped to her now bandaged hands. Alexas face scrunched up in disgust. "She did that to you, didn't she?" Riley's body tensed as she nodded weakly.
Her eyes couldn't hold back the tears anymore. Riley felt every nerve in her body tingle, every muscle in her body was weak, every thought in her mind was dark. There was no escaping your own head. When you get lost in it you wont come out the same person. Riley's tears soaked the bedsheets, her body jerked uncontrollably in physical torment, the loud sniffles, the rapid thoughts, the fear she felt in her mind. Alexa's arms wrapped riley in a tighter embrace, trying to ground the younger girl. Giving her the strength she needed to carry on but it was no use. When riley's mind faltered and her mental health struggled. It was a battle for time before they got to her. "They" the voices.
Riley sat up, disconnecting from Alexa's grasp. Her knees hugging her chest. Her own body trapped her like a prison, driving her to breaking point. Alexa's heart broke for Riley, her own chest became tight with every tear she watched fall from her lover. She couldn't do anything but watch. Alexa struggled with her mental health aswell but she was deemed fit when she turned 20. She knew exactly what the blonde was going through but she knew that she also didn't. Alexa jumped off the bed and she sat infront of the sobbing teenager.
"Riley, snap out of this. Do not let anyone break you. You can do this. Remember when we first met and you were optimistic about everyone and everything? Nothing has changed. Leanne is a snake in the grass and we'll figure something out to get her kicked off the case. C'mon, were going out for the day." Riley's face dropped at the speech. She focused on Alexa's velvety voice and her eagerness to pull eher out of the rut she was stuck in. a glimmer of optimism swam through Riley's body and she dredged up the energy to pull herself out of bed. Her sloth like movements were duly noticed by the raven haired who felt a pang of victory and another of guilt.
Riley got dressed into a pair of black skinny jeans and a grey sweater slipping on her bright blue Aztec slip on vans to finish the ensemble. She disappeared out of the room with her stuffed wallet.
"We're going to pay Miss Layton a visit." The blonde snarled through gritted teeth. Alexa face shot up, an expression glazed over it that riley couldn't make out. The ravenhaired walked over to her. "That sounds like a bad idea, something tells me that she wont be handling your mothers case or you ever again." She smiled nervously. Riled brows furrowed in confusion, there was a strange vibe coming off Alexa that made Riley feel uncomfortable. As if the raven haired could read her mind she interjected. "It's spring break, let's go and do something that doesn't involve stress."