Chapter 8

Riley's P.O.V

I managed to make it to second period before the tardy bell rung, Alexa and I barely spoke two words to eachother on the way here which caused a knot to form in my stomach.

I dug into my bag to find a pen but i decided to read the mail instead, I held the envelope in my hand and a wave of nausea washed over me. I unsealed the envelope, my eyes widened. I'm really damned lucky I took my dose this morning or I'd be on the floor. Who sent me this mail? Who would ever want to send me or anyone something like this? I wretched internally looking at the picture, to top it off my focus wasn't in class today. I had no energy and no motivation. I didn't feel right today, my body was breaking down and the all familiar feelings of negativity kept sweeping through my body like a wave of dread. I sat at my desk tapping my pen watching the clock. I've only been here for 20 minutes and I feel my body itching to get out.

Mrs.Edwards routinely sent glances my way through class and with the expression on her face I could tell she was concerned.
"Miss Wood, can I have a word with you outside please?" she smiled, unaware that a wave of dread erupted my body which inevitably left me suffocating, everyone's eyes landed on me and then back to task at hand as I got up from my seat, my hands trembled and I felt light headed. Breathe, just breathe.

I walked out of the classroom where Mrs. Edwards was waiting and she gave me a sympathetic look. "Riley, are you okay? You don't seem yourself today?" She touched my shoulder and I bowed my head or the dizziness was going to consume me into a panic rush. I slid down the wall focusing on my breathing, I could faintly hear the teacher talking but I couldn't focus on anything right now. I took a deep breath and my vision started to merge into blurs whilst my body giving into a limp state. The last thing I remember was slipping into a peaceful darkness.
***
Alexa's P.O.V

Today has dragged, the principle chewed my ear off about my tardiness and I managed to muster up an excuse about my car breaking down and my misplaced phone. I was not feeling up to work today, I didn't feel right.

Something didn't feel right, my gut keeps telling me that something bad is about to happen. A wave of dread washed over me and I escaped the confined walls of my classroom. I walked out of class into the car park trying to catch my breath. I looked up and saw the dreaded familiar face I wish I never set eyes on.

Strutting towards me in a confident stride was no other than Leanna Layton. What is the psychopath doing here? I walked towards her trying to wipe the emotions off my face.

"Can I help you?" I asked trying not to grit my teeth whilst doing so.

The brunette smiled. "Fancy seeing you here. You're the film studies teacher right?" She smirked.

I internally screamed. She knows I'm Riley's teacher, fuck. I was about to reply but she cut me off "Nevermind. I'm in a rush, can you show me to the nurses office? I need to pick up a student."

I stared her down, she didn't look like the type of woman to have kids let alone them be in high school.

"Follow me." I mustered hastily walking back inside the building with Leanne in tow.

We got to the nurses office and my jaw dropped when I saw who was unconscious on the bed. My first instinct was to run over to her. My heart threatened to break my ribs.

My stomach dropped. "Is she okay?" I asked the nurse not trying to sound concerned as a teacher not girlfriend.

I glanced at her name tag; Latoya. She looked like a Latoya. Latoya looked at me

"You family?" I smiled

"Sort of, her mother's my mothers best friend." I cursed myself mentally for lying like that but it's the only believable lie I could seem to muster. Plus, it was a little bit true. Except my mother doesn't know Riley existed. My dead mother does. I raised an eyebrow when I saw the scowling face of the public defender next to me.

I couldn't help but let out a smirk. "Yeah, she blacked out in class. I advice for her to take a couple of says off school. She looks like she could use it." The nurse almost sounded sympathetic when she looked at Riley.

Her attention snapped to Leanne "You are?"

Leanne snapped out of her bubble, she stared at Riley like she was a meal. My blood ran cold, my fists clenched by my side ready to use them if she said something wrong next.

"I-I'm her mothers public defender. Ill take care of her." Latoya looked her up and down sensing the type of person Leanne was.

She gave Leanne an intense stare and I could have sworn I saw Leanne take a step backwards. I internally jumped up and down.

"And you're here because?" Her arms crossed and she stared the brunette down even I felt intimidated.

"I'm here because I am Riley's guardian since her mother is in custody."

My eyes widened, I was about to take a step towards her when Riley stepped in. "Excuse me? When was this arranged? I don't even know you. I am 18 years old, I am legal to own my own apartment, babysit and drive. Hell, in wales I would be able to go out clubbing getting absolutely steaming. Do not think that you are Yasmins guardian too because she is my sister and my reposnsibility."

The three of us stared at Riley in shock at her outburst, she scratched her head and looked at me nervously as if asking me to say something. I cleared my throat. "Im sorry miss Layton but I think Riley has made herself clear."

Leanna shot me daggers and I felt my blood run cold again.

"Well Riley, you can't drive in your condition. Would-" she gestured to me and I perked up instantly. This is my chance, Thank you heavens. If Leanne had her way I would lose my job over this.

"Alexa, my name is Alexa." I smiled trying to introduce myself remembering that I didn't the first time. Leanne stood there, giving me killer daggers but letting her eyes drift over to Riley every so often with a hint of hunger behind them.

"Alexa, would you be able to escort Miss Wood here home, I'll talk to principal Timpson if he give's you any grief, man's got a stick stuck up his ass." I laughed slightly at the forwardness of Latoya's language. Riley chuckled along aswell leaving Leanne the odd one out.

"Yeah, that's no problem. I'll file for an emergency sub and I'll drop you off home." I nodded towards a smiling Riley trying to hide the enjoyment I felt.
***
Riley's P.O.V

Alexa and I got into my apartment, I text Yasmin asking if she could catch a ride with Jacob because I didn't feel too good. She was absolutelt with it to my relief. I'd hate to see my little sister worried about me.

She doesn't know much about what happened when mum and dad were together all she knows is that I have something wrong with me and I need to take tablets for it. My body slumbered into the couch and I sat there staring at the blank TV getting lost in the dark thoughts. I closed my eyes to lock them out but I couldn't, not this time.

I was too weak, I let a tear roll down my cheek-I felt myself breaking. I haven't felt this low in at least two years. I thought I was happy again, I thought I was well. I cant go through this again. I haven't got the strength this time.

Alexa bent down infront of me. She looked into my eyes, something in her tore she flinched slightly.

"Riley, what's wrong?" she asked, she's really worried about me but I honestly cant explain.

I cant think, I cant move. I cant do anything. I got up off the sofa and I walked into my bedroom. Closing my door I dropped down on my floor. The tears fought themselves out and I couldn't fight it anymore. I was strong for so long that now; I'm snapping, breaking, tearing and losing. I heard footsteps walking towards the door. I shuffled away from the door, it opened slowly to reveal Alexa. She laid down next to me, her arms snaking around my torso, we were spooning on my bedroom floor whilst I gave in to the darkness that consumed my mind.
***