Chapter 3

I turned to walk down the corridor and a female's voice called after me. I turned around and Leanne was walking towards me at a hurried pace. "Did she tell you where she hid the money?" she asked.

I shook my head. "Nope, she told me she didn't steal it and she seems pretty persistent. I know my mother and she wouldn't lie to me. She didn't steal the money." I admitted sternly.

"Hmm. Okay. Well, thank you for talking to me, Riley." She smiled. I nodded my head.

"It's okay. If I can help at all I will. Sorry, I must go to. My sister's in school and I'm her ride and I'll need to catch the bus; the officers drove me here and- "

"I'll give you a ride. Valentine Rai High is where your headed, right?" she smirked.

I nodded my head. "Yes, how did you-?"

"It's my job to know about my clients and their backgrounds, including their next of kin." She shrugged.

"Okay, then. Thank you. I'd be very grateful." I said professionally, trying to shut her down.

"Let's go." She turned on her heel and I followed. We stopped at the entrance, so I could get my belongings and then she led me to her black mini.

She turned on the ignition and then steered out of the carpark.

"Are you and your mother close?" she asked. She glanced at me in the corner of her eye.

"Honestly, we're not close." I deadpanned.

"I see, any particular reason for that?"

"Not really, she's my mother and I'm her daughter. She gives me and my sister everything we need without barely seeing her."

She didn't say anything. She was deep in thought and I stared out the window.

"Doe's she accept the fact that you're gay?"

I snapped my attention to the brunette. "What makes you think I'm gay?" I asked. Wondering how she'd known.

"Well, your finger nails are short, you didn't even batter an eye lid to the male officers in the precinct and you get nervous whenever your around me." She announced in a matter of fact tone.

I chuckled. "Okay. You've got me there. But you make me nervous because you're a public defender."

She smiled and glanced up into her rear-view mirror then at me. "So, does your mother accept your lifestyle, Miss wood?"

I nodded my head "Yes, she does."

We got to the school. She pulled up onto the curb and I turned to open the door. "What's your number in case I need to contact you about the case?" she raised an eyebrow.

I studied her, but she didn't give anything away. I gave her my number, then thanked her hurrying into school. I looked at the time: 1:07pm. I sighed. I need to see Alexa.