"Can't you just keep her here?"

"Believe me she wanna stay more than anything, she even offered to work and pay me back, while in fact, I still didn't pay Victor."

"She just wanna be free." he shrugged as he stood up stretching his limbs and scratching his short beard.

"You think I don't know, but I can't let her go now. I got a call from Victor asking me if she's good enough, he wants her, its either the money or her dead body."

"Pay him." was the only words that escaped Mark's mouth as he looked into my eyes.

"Non.Hell no!" I declaimed gripping the empty beer bottle harder as shock took over my features.

"Listen, keep her here, protect her, you said she's sick then make her feel better and if Victor asked for her send him the money, as simple as that."

"But-" I tried to argue but he cut me right of.

"No buts Joseph. Don't do anything stupid that you'll regret later." Mark said as he picked up his car keys and cell phone.

"You're leaving already?" I asked as I walked with him towards the front door.

"I can't leave her."

"She's in her second week for fuck sake!" I groaned.

"You'll understand when you have a young Joseph." I rolled my eyes as I heard the door shut.

An urgent cold bath.

THE NEXT MORNING.

I looked through the window watching the sunrise and the sky changing its colors working its magic. I didn't sleep yesterday thinking of every word Mark said. Questions filled my head and no answers were given, which made it even harder for my body to rest.

They'll stand by Mark. They'll tell you to save her life and keep her secured.

With that thought, I got up and ruffled my hair as I took shaky steps. I had little problems to deal with and I called my life hell, now with her into it my problems are getting out of hand. I can't understand what's the purpose behind all of this. I'm just wasting my time thinking of a mere girl that has health problems and can't say two words without stuttering.

God, please!

I saw her standing beside the window, sunken in her own thoughts just like I was a few minutes ago. She didn't notice me coming and I took that as a chance to stand behind her quietly just watching her teary eyes look at nothing and everything at the same time. I cleared my thought after a few moments and she directly turned towards me, too fast that I thought her neck will snap.

"I-I'm so sorry I-I won't repeat it again, p-please don't hurt me." her cracking tone filled the atmosphere, pain and fear were the only emotions flashing through her eyes. Her tall thin fingers shaking slightly as she played with the hem of her shirt.

"Oh no, no, I won't hurt you. I'm here to make sure you're fine." she looked confused and unsure as she took a few steps to the back.

"I-I don't understand," she said low, looking back to the window slightly before looking at the floor again.

I shrugged my shoulders and sat on the edge of the bed, I pat the area beside me and she looked surprised, I did it again and she came hesitatingly. She sat far from the area I patted and looked at her hands inspecting them so her gaze won't fall on anything else. Her body tensed showing just how alarmed she is.

"I don't know how to start this but when I said you're safe here I mean it okay. I might act like a jerk most of the times but I won't harm you. In fact, I'll protect you, you'll be partially free but I can't let you go and you have to understand that." my honest words and my smooth calm tone did her well at first and I saw how her body tried to relax somehow but at the end her body went back to it's alarmed defense structure and her fingers were trembling even more now, her head turned slightly just enough to see the side of my face and enough to look at me with her tearful eyes.

"B-but I-I really have to go." grief and surrender. Those are the two emotions I detected as tears ran across her flushed cheeks and I couldn't pat her back and promise her that everything would be alright cause I know they won't.

"I know but I have nothing to do with this. They want you dead, please stay here and I won't hurt you. For few months okay just a few and if you're safe enough by then I'll let you go, for now, you have to stay here. Living with me isn't that bad, I can cook somehow." I'm worried as fuck and tired of convincing her into something she has no say in yet  here I am giving her positive vibes and making sure she'll somehow trust me. Trying to lighten the atmosphere because The last thing I want is for her to run away.

She kept looking at me as if she's hallucinating, she covered her face with both of her hands and cried, low sobs escaping and filling the room with pure misery. I stood and kneeled down facing her and I gently removed her hands and placed them on her lap. My eyes never leaving hers and I tried my best to ignore her flinching and agitated body.

"Why are you crying?" I asked with fake scenery trying to cover the boredom tone threatening to be released.

"I-I" she tried to say as she took a breath and at the moment I wanted nothing but to pull her body into my grasp and shush her till she stops this madness, I never wanted to hit and calm a person at the same time before. Her puffy eyes, red nose, and dawn-tinted cheeks made her look adorable but in reality, it was a tragic scene, seeing someone cry this much for freedom is heartbreaking. Even I know that.

"Hey, talk to me, tell me what's wrong with you? "

"I can't g-give you what you w-want."

I frowned for a minute bewildered and startled by what she said. 

"I don't n-need your help b-because I-I can't give you w-what y-you w-want." she further explained when she saw the confusion on my face.

"What the fuck!!?" I yelled as I stood up. "I want nothing from you! Hell, I'm helping cause I have  to not because I'll get something in return," I clarified angrily and my voice isn't soothing anymore, my hands turned into fists, pure rage filled my body at what she said. How could she think this way?

"Do you dare accuse me of such filthy shit woman! Dont push my bottoms further, I have limits," I snapped and paced the room for few minutes trying to calm myself down.

"It's- just- no one did a-anything for m-me." She tried to reason but the more she talks the more I get annoyed, it's like she's adding alcohol on my burning wild fire.

"I am." I spat.

"I'm s-sorry,"  she apologized with a sniff and I immediately turned my head to look at her.

"I want nothing in return is that clear? All I want is for you to stay the fuck here for a while so I can figure something out, get it?" I responded as I stood beside the door watching her grateful eyes shine with something different this time. Hope?

"Dinner in ten minutes, be ready," I announced as I left shutting the door with force.

*************************************************************

I hope you liked it,

Don't forget to comment and vote,

PLEASE FOLLOW MY ACCOUNT.