49. Chaos and Tragedies (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Stop hogging the mirror." I said getting up and bumping Jayla out of the way so I could examine myself. I got Raquel to braid my hair the night before, but my hair still looked good. I was just wearing our Nike travel suit, but I still looked edible. I was a whole din din.

"It doesn't even matter how you look." Jayla said letting me get my mirror time.

"But how do I look?" I said doing a little pose and Jayla rolled her eyes.

"You look like you're about to play a basketball game." She stated plainly and I frowned.

"You really need to step up your compliment game. I always gas you up, but you stay hatin' on me." I pouted.

"You look good, Dani." Jayla gave another weak compliment.

She's trippin'. I look more than just good. I'm gonna have bitches getting wet just from playing defense on me. Bitches are gonna thank me for breaking their ankles. When I foul a bitch, the refs are gonna let me shoot free throws. I would go on, but I think I made my point. I'm fine as hell no matter what I'm wearing and Jayla better put some respeck on that.

"You know what, I'm not even gonna trip. I know you know I look good because you're in like with my twin." I shrugged.

Jayla chuckled.

"I never said you didn't look good. You know you always look good."

"Then why didn't you just say that?"

"You're mad annoying." Jayla said making me burst out laughing.

"You've been spending too much time with Niya. Since when do you say that?" I asked and she blushed.

"We need to hurry up and get to the bus." Jayla tried to change the subject.

"Nah, you weren't worried about getting to the bus when you were all in the mirror."

Jayla ignored me and grabbed her book bag and phone before leaving the room. I just shook my head and grabbed my things before doing the same.

-

My main concern for today was whether or not my mom was coming. She said she'd try to make it. I wasn't gonna be upset if she didn't because this is a long way to travel. I know she wouldn't drive here with how hectic her work schedule is right now, but still. I don't like making her go out the way to come see my games. It was my insistence on my parents making it to every game I played that cost my dad his life.

She hasn't called or anything, so as of right now, I'm gonna assume she isn't coming because that's easier than getting my hopes up and getting disappointed. I was also sad that Aniya and Nadia weren't coming. It was a pretty far drive, so I told them they didn't have to.

Before going to the arena we went to get lunch. We stopped at Subway and just like every time we did, I wasn't happy about it. I'm not that big of a fan of Subway, but I don't complain. It's just than there are corner stores in New York with subs better than this place.

After we ate, we went to the arena and Coach gave us our game plan in one of the locker rooms.

"We're going to start off in man because the first two times we played this team, they shot us out of our zone way too easily. I know I've been working you hard these past few weeks but it's because I wanted to prepare you for this. I need everyone to be ready to play tonight because you're going to get tired. You're going to need breaks and that's fine, but I need all of you to keep in mind that this isn't about you as an individual. It's about the entire team, so play hard and play through fatigue. This isn't going to be easy, but I need you to give your all for 40 minutes. This is the toughest team we've played all year and we've lost to them twice, but neither time did I believe that they were better than you. They were more solid than you both times. It's about who wants it more. We have to want it more than they do."