Cell

I grabbed the girl by her arm and pushed her to the floor, shielding her body with mine. If she really was innocent, she didn't deserve to die so young.

After the explosion had died down, I looked around. I stood to my feet, pulling the girl up with me. She looked at me with a shocked expression.

"Where's Starlet?" I heard Trevor cough, although I couldn't see him because of the smoke.

"Why did you save me?" the girl asked.

"You don't deserve to die.....just yet," I replied simply, "what Starlet and I decide on when I get back to my pack is a completely different story."

The smoke cleared and Starlet was lying on the ground, her clothes tattered and torn. I was at her side in an instant, and took off my shirt to slip it over her exposed body.

I ran my fingertips gently over an open wound on her chest that went up to the nape of her neck, flaring out even further. It was already starting to heal around the ends, and it was scarring. I let out a shaky breath before lifting her off the ground.

"Damn it!" Trevor growled, and I knew that Max had somehow gotten away.

I'd find him and rip him limb from limb, but that wasn't my main priority at the moment. My main priority was getting Starlet back to the pack house, and getting her checked out by Dr. Brown.

"Trevor, put the girl in the dungeon when we get back to the pack house," I said to Trevor before setting Starlet down and phasing. Trevor seemed to know where I was going with this, because he picked Starlet up and placed her on Casper's back.

Casper ran to our territory, careful not to rouse Starlet. As soon as we crossed the border into our territory, Casper let out a loud, earspitting howl.

In mere seconds, my parents were there, along with Leilah. My mother and Leilah both gasped and my fahter carefully lifted Starlet before walking back in the direction of the pack house.

When we got to the packhouse, Casper padded upstairs, ignoring the glances from different pack members. I quickly phased back and put on some clothes before running down stairs to the infirmary.

Dr. Brown's apprentice, Sam, was placing a salve on Starlet's chest when I walked in. She stopped what she was doing and bowed when she saw me, and I nodded. I stood in the corner of the room, watching Starlet's sleeping figure with worry.

"She's fine, Alpha," Dr. Brown said as she entered the room. She bowed before she continued speaking, "just a few burns, although the bigger one might leave a scar."

"Why is she unconscious?" I asked.

"Looks like the Luna took control over her demon's side. Not an easy thing to do, and it really drains a person. She'll be up soon, but she may want to sleep a bit more than usual until she gets used to this," She said nonchalantly.

After Sam had finished placing the salve on Starlet, they both left. I sat in the chair beside the bed and stared at Starlet. She twitched slightly before letting out a soft moan of pain. Her eyes fluttered breifly before she sat up with sudden force, sucking in a pain-filled breath.

"Starlet!" I gasped, putting one of my hands on her shoulder to calm her. She looked at me, and her eyes were purple. A deep purple.

"Alex," she cried, whimpering slightly, "that wasn't Max."

"What do you mean that wasn't Max?" I asked. It was Max. Same smell, same exact features, same hateful quality.

"I mean it wasn't him. Fury told me," she said, her voice wavering.