Last Week of School

Xander's p.o.v.

"Xander....Xander.....XANDER!" I was pushed out of my bed and hit the ground with a loud thud.

     They just had to interrupt my dreams, didn't they? It was another one about Starlet, as were the last few. I heard sweet laughter and got up to see Starlet sitting on my dresser laughing. I'm guessing it was Trevor who pushed me, because he had fallen onto my bed laughing. 

"What was that for?!" I asked, getting up off the floor.

"You're going to be late for school, doofus. Your mom asked us to wake you," Starlet got out inbetween laughs, brushing a lock of her hair out of her eyes.

      I took that time to admire her outfit. She had on a black Marshall Lee t-shirt and red skinny jeans. Her hair was in a high ponytail with her side-swept bangs falling into her eyes every now and then.

   She seems to have gotten a lot more confidence since Saturday... She jumped off of my dresser and grabbed her backpack from the floor.

"Goodbye!" She shouted, about to leave.

"How are you getting to school?" Trevor asked curiously.

"Bam!" She shouted, pulling out a set of car keys.

"She gave you your keys back?" Trevor asked in disbelief.

"Yep," She said, popping the p.

She stuck her tongue out at Trevor and ran from the room.

"Come on, dude. Get dressed and let's go," Trevor said, exiting the room.

"Yea, never in a million years. But thanks for the offer," I heard Starlet say to some human freshman guy in study hall.

   She kissed him on the cheek and his face turned bright red. I clenched my fists by my sides and took deep breaths, trying to calm my wolf.

"Dude! You got rejected but still got some!" I heard a bunch of his friends shout.

 Starlet laughed and turned on her heel, walking away from the group of guys. I grabbed her arm as she walked by and pulled her into the nearest empty classroom.

 "What the he- Oh, h-hi Xander," She shouted, her voice getting quiet at the end. She gulped and looked down at her black and red Converse.

"Why did you just do that?" I growled, causing her to take a few steps back.

"D-do what?" She asked, continuing to step back until she hit the wall.

"Kiss that guy!" I shouted, losing the little bit of self control I had left.

"Why does it matter to you!?" She shouted back, startling herself and I. I could tell her wolf was trying to push through because her eyes were flashing between baby blue and red.

"Because you're mine," I hissed at her.

   Her eyes went dark, then they went bright red, and I could tell it took all her willpower not to shift.

"I am no one's." She growled, taking a step towards me.

 My wolf hates being challenged, so he started to get extremely angry.

"Don't test me, Starlet," I warned, trying desperately to keep my wolf at bay.

"Why shouldn't I, future alpha?" She spat at me, pushing to the point of breaking.

"Because I could kill you right now and no one would give a damn!" I snarled, slapping her and causing her backpack to fall off of her shoulders.

  She looked at me in shock before her eyes started to water. I instantly felt like a major prick. She took a deep breath and tried to hold back her tears. She stared at me with pain in her eyes.

"Looks like things are back to normal," She said, her voice wavering.

  She wiped her eyes and blinked a few times, her eyes going back to their normal baby blue. She touched where I slapped her and hissed in pain. I could already see a red hand mark forming,

"That's going to leave a bruise. Goodbye, Xander,"  She said, picking up her backpack and avoiding my gaze.

"Starlet, I'm so sorry," I said, blocking her from exiting the room.

"Can I go to class, please? My study hour's almost over," She asked, still refusing to look at me.

"I need to talk to you," I said, grabbing her by her shoulders.

  She flinched at my touch and I felt my heart break. She still wasn't looking at me.

"Starlet, look at me," I said sternly, using my alpha tone.

  She took another deep breath before slowly looking up at me.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I asked. More like pleaded.

"Doing what? I'm acting the same I always have," She said stubbornly. It was kind of cute.

"But you're mine now. Why do you keep avoiding me?" I asked, shaking her slightly. She squeaked in surprise.

"Am I allowed to answer without being hit?" She asked, making me feel worse.

  Her cheek was starting to puff up slightly where I hit her, and it showed no signs of healing. I released her and she backed away from me immediately.

"I'm not yours. I'm not anyone's. Plus, just because we're 'mates' doesn't mean I can trust you not to hurt me. You've bullied me since 6th freaking grade, Xander. What makes now any different? You just proved that being mates doesn't change anything. Now, can I please leave?" She asked again.

  I felt numb inside, so I just moved out of the doorway. She practically ran past me and out of the study hall. She thought I was going to hurt her? I love her. I mean, I know I hit her before, but I was just angry. She's messing with my head. I can't promise her I won't hit her, because what if I do? What if I can't control myself?

     Starlet avoided me for the rest of the week. Even at the pack house. My mother told me she requested a different self defence teacher, and after much argument and questioning, Quintell was appointed as her new teacher. He was staying in the pack house for a while, so he agreed to be her teacher until he went back to London next month.

    On the last day of school, I didn't see her at all, but I knew she had come because her scent lingered in the halls. I couldn't take it anymore. My wolf wanted it's mate, and I wanted Starlet.

      A few hours after her training session had ended, I went upstairs to her room and knocked on her door gently. No answer. Her door was unlocked, so I entered the room silently. Scarlet was sprawled on her bed, asleep. She still had on her training clothes and my wolf started with the nasty thoughts again. Her iPod was in it's dock, playing music softly.

    Starlet's cheek still had a light bruise from where I hit her, and that douchebag feeling came back.

"What are you doing in here?!" Leilah's voice startled me.

  She exited Starlet's closet and gave me a look of pure disgust. She had a bundle of clothes in her arms, which she set in a chair next to Starlet's bed. Starlet mumbled and rolled over in her sleep.

"Uh, hello! I just asked you a question!" Leilah whisper-yelled at me.

"What are all those clothes for?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"Her party, you idiot! GET OUT!" Leilah whispered, frustrated. Party?

"What party?" I asked. Starlet began to stir slightly, and Leilah shushed me.

"Her birthday party tomorrow, stupid! She's coming of age too, y'know!" Leilah whispered angrily, pushing me out of the room and shutting the door.

      It's her birthday tomorrow?! Oh, crap, I still have to get her a gift....

Song of the chapter: Nice Guys by Ryan Higa (NigaHiga)------video on side--->