Necklace

Xander's p.o.v.

I immediately followed her scream. When I ran into her room, I was hit in the face with a pillow. Starlet was completely frazzled, ans she was crying. Without saying a word, I pulled her to me.

"T-they're everywhere, Alex," she sobbed. I swear I'm going to kill whoever made her cry!

"It's ok. What happened?" I asked, trying to soothe her.

"I-I was going to t-talk to Trevor, and there was a p-present on my bed. They took Max," Starlet said, her voice shaking. I couldn't help but feel jealous, but I tried to quickly squash it.

"I'm sure it's nothing," I said. She could just be tired from traveling.

"B-but they left it," Starlet cried. She pulled a silver chain out of her pocket. On the end of it was a shape. On it, it said 'Batman'. She flipped it over and it read 'Max'.

"They could've gotten that from anywhere," I gulped, although I kmew it belonged to Max. It still smelled of him.

"No...no they couldn't have.....the year after Max and I became friends, we had these necklaces custom made. That's why the pieces fit so perfectly," Starlet said, her voice hoarse. She pulled out another chain that looked similar to the first.

   When she put them together, they clicked into place. On one side, it said 'Batman and Robin' and on the other, it said 'Max and Star.' It even shaped the Batman symbol. I honestly didn't know what else I could say. Starlet was obviously scared, but I didn't know how I could help her.

   After a few minutes, I suggested that she get some rest. I could see that she was tired, and I really needed to think through what to do with this whole situation. I left her room, shutting the door quietly, then went into my room.

  On my bed sat a neatly folded sheet of red paper. When I unfolded it, the message on it made me want to kill someone.

Dear Xander,

    Aww, is the little princess all sad? You seriously didn't think it would be that easy to get rid of me, did you? I warned you not to mess with me, babe. Now all your loved ones will pay the price, including your precious little mate. Watch yourself, Xander. Be careful about who you trust, and next time, it'll be more than just a necklace,

Xoxo, your not so secret admirer.

That bitch! Of course it had to be Ashley. I have to tell my parents to figure out what to do about this situation, but first, I have to make sure that Starlet is guarded at all times. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to her.

 When I went back into her room, Starlet was fast asleep on her bed. She had her and Max's necklaces clutched in her hand, and she looked troubled. I hated seeing her like this. Trevor was the first one I saw in the hall, so I stopped him.

"Look man. I know you're ticked off, and you're probably right to be. She is your sister after all. But, can you do me a favor and watch Starlet while I go talk to my parents?" I asked.

"What, so know you can't even trust her alone?" He growled at me. Ok, I knew he was angry and all, but he was still irking me.

"Read this, and tell me you won't watch her," I said, thrusting the note at him. I saw him skim over it, and his eyes grew wide.

"Wha-I-damn," was all he said.

"Yea, damn is right. Now please just watch her while I go talk to my parents," I said, taking the note back from him and going downstairs. I found my father first, sitting in his study.

  Once I explained the situation, he mulled it over for a second before speaking.

"So you're positive this is Ashley?" he asked.

"Never been more sure about anything in my life," I said, wringing my hands. Even though I knew Trevor was watching Starlet, I still felt uncomfortable letting her out of my sight.

"Ok, I'll talk to your mother about this. In the meantime, I'll have guards watching Starlet as much as possible, although I know you won't be truly satisfied until you're with your mate," my father said finally. I thanked him before going back upstairs.

  Starlet wasn't in her room, and it only a second for me to panic. I ran into my room, and breathed out a sigh of relief when I saw her sitting on my bed, drawing. She looked up from her sketch pad, smiled at me, then went back to drawing.

"Where's Trevor?" I asked, a little pissed off that he would just leave Starlet after I specifically told her to watch her.

"In the backyard with our dad," Starlet replied, "you seem tense."

"Just worried," I said distractedly. Starlet didn't answer, but instead just looked away. I went and sat down next to her, pulling her to me.

"I'm not letting anyone take you away from me. I swear," I said seriously.

   Starlet sighed before looking up at me.

"What're they going to do to Max?" She asked, her voice shaky.

"I wish I knew," I said quietly